Sri Lanka - Quarantine Part 2 - Jim's Farm Villas


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka » Central Province » Dambulla
May 9th 2021
Published: June 12th 2021
Edit Blog Post

I think I will divide the second part of our trip into two parts because we did a lot in 4 days. Well, comparatively. The tourist spots we were allowed to visit were limited and spread out, so we had to choose wisely. We both wanted to see SIgiriya Rock and Polonnuwara, so I started looking for hotels in those areas. Luke had previously found Jim's Farm Villas before we left Dubai, but my request on the website went unanswered. However, when I was trying to find a spot and having no real luck, I decided to use their WhatsApp number and I got an immediate response and booked four nights there right away.

The protocols in Sri Lanka were pretty strict - we had to stay only in Tier 1 hotels, which meant we could only have certified drivers shuttling us to each hotel if we left. So, JFV sent us their driver to pick up on Saturday morning, but we had to have all our documents in order as well: vaccine card, PCR test result, flight booking info, and hotel stay info. It was about a 3 hour drive, no stopping for food or restroom. The driver was separated from us by plastic sheeting and a sign later told us they were discouraged from talking to us for safety. So, we just enjoyed the views, especially once we started to get inland go into the hills and mountains.

I am sooooo glad I tried for this place again! As soon as we got there, we knew it was right. Little tuk tuks to shuttle us about the farm, super friendly staff led by Jesse, and just an absolutely wonderful room with a gorgeous view. We stayed at the Mango Villa, the newest of three buildings, which was located at the top of the hill with a yoga studio nearby, 5 guest rooms each with a huge balcony, a restaurant and spa below, with a relaxing terrace pavilion and a game room. It was just perfect! We unpacked and I personally loved the closets - they open from both sides, one in the room and one in the bathroom. Just nice little design and decorating touches everywhere.

The first day, we went up to the pool at Hilltop Villa, where we met the British owner, who was in town for a couple of weeks. I went for a swim while Luke went for a run, and then we lounged with a drink until heading back. The owner, Kevin, joined us for dinner. It was just the three of us - the rest of the villas were entirely empty of guests! So, we were waited on hand and foot - hopefully by the staff just being bored. They were all soooo nice!

Dinner was one of my daily highlights. Breakfast and dinner were included and changed each day. Each night at sunset, we went to the little outdoor lounge area for a drink and plantain chips. At dinner, the menu was announced by (Anshar!?!? I can't believe I have forgotten his name!). I think the first night, we had a chicken biryani, which we kind of laughed about (that's pretty much par for the course in the Middle East), but it was quite yummy! Another night we had a tandoori chicken with rice and steak fries, then one night was crab with a custard and treacle dessert, and the last night was the typical Sri Lanka curry dish (which we had learned to make during a cooking demonstration!). Everything was absolutely delicious.

For breakfast, each day we started with a fruit plate and a fresh fruit juice (mango, avocado, pineapple - different each time). The first day we got eggs, but Kevin recommended their traditional Rice Hopper breakfast for the next day. Oh. Em. Gee. This was my favorite food of the entire trip! So, delicious. Essentially it is a rice flour cup that needs hours of time to set, but once it is done... mmmmmmmmmmm. We would get two cups, one with egg and one without. They also came with sides of coconut sambol and a traditional daal. Both were just the perfect complements and I had these every day while there. I am determined to learn to make them myself!

Let's see, otherwise, it was very peaceful and relaxing experience. I could have stayed our whole two weeks here honestly! I got a massage by their therapist doctor. We played some pool while waiting for dinner. We got a tour of the farm from Kevin. We saw lots of cool birds in the morning. We heard the local bread delivery truck all day - his tune was "It's a Small World" and it took a while before we thought to ask about it. Another blog is devoted to our day trip they arranged for us to Sigiriya Rock and Polonnuwara. The tea plantations and some of the other local area experiences (like the elephant safari park) were closed, so our options were limited. Thankfully we could enjoy our beautiful farm setting!

This 4 days at Jim's Farm Villa was just a fantastic experience! So far, I am loving Sri Lanka, even with all the covid restrictions!!! <3


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



14th June 2021

Restricted Travels
Thanks for the details on what you can and cannot do. We'd love to travel but don't want too many restrictions. We are still trying to find the right place to go.

Tot: 1.316s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 1.2919s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb