Busan and Jeju


Advertisement
South Korea's flag
Asia » South Korea
February 8th 2012
Published: February 8th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Annyeong from South Korea!

After a tax-related disasterous exit from Japan we 'beetled off' to South Korea on a hydrofoil. Hmm, thats an INTERESTING mode of transport on your tummy. Although the crew on the port all stood in uniform and waved us off with hats in hand making me feel like the queen so all is forgiven!

Had a good old potter in Busan going to Seomyeon beach (Managed to wear mearly one jumper and my coat - woohoo!) fun fair, lighthouse, multiple visits to Paris Baguette cafe, and some good walks. Started to dawn on us quite how much people love to hike. I dont mean a normal passion, but an obsession requiring the purchase of every known gadget and piece of apparel on the market. For our walk around Geumgang Park to see the kannons carved into the hillsides we plodded in trainers and hoodies, meanwhile our campadres sported the latest in space-age gortex and lycra in all known shades of purple accessorised with a variety of walking poles.

On a food and drink front we are eating lots of bibimbap (Korean paella) and I have decided to work out the difference between types of
Busan PortBusan PortBusan Port

The 5th busiest container port in the world from Busan Tower
coffee. Winman is being a good sport and is relenting to the obvious hardship of 'Do you mind if we have a small sit down with a frappa/cappa/mega cinnamon-a-ccino for research purposes?' Deffo taking one for the team there.

Continued on what I refer to as our South Korean cruise to Jeju-Do off the south coast for some hiking up 2 mountains Ilchulbung, Hallasan and in Manjanggul Lava Tubes. Arriving in deep snow at the volcano path I was a little worried with our lack of map, waterproof trousers or first aid kit but my fears were trampled when we spotted the 7 coaches of tourists (even if they were all wearing crampons) and also the yellow poncho stall. We set off like a cloud of neon jellyfish for 4 hours to a peak under whiteout hammered by winds. Despite the lack of view it was totally worth it!

Jeju's local cuisine of seafood stew, and black skinned pork is enough to turn a vegetarian. You cook various bits and bobs on a coal grill which is supplied along with the neverending kimchi. May have gone twice in 3 days - oops!

People here are lovely except that they invented the local tipple of Soju (ethanol and flavouring) which is surely evil, they also put together the Jej-Si sex museum which is hilarious.

Right time to pack bag ready for boat to Mokpo tomorrow hopefully for more walking and maybe some bearspotting!

Lots of love

A x


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Taejong ParkTaejong Park
Taejong Park

From Busan lighthouse
Scenery up Hallasan Scenery up Hallasan
Scenery up Hallasan

So no need for crampons or waterproof trousers then?
Jeju Sex MuseumJeju Sex Museum
Jeju Sex Museum

One of the less risque ones!
Hallasan peak - check out the view behind!!!Hallasan peak - check out the view behind!!!
Hallasan peak - check out the view behind!!!

Battling the need for the poncho to be set free in the winds
Its a hard lifeIts a hard life
Its a hard life

My mission....
Container ships in BusanContainer ships in Busan
Container ships in Busan

For some reason they really intrigue me - where are they all going????


Tot: 0.186s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0534s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb