Daejeon National Cemetery


Advertisement
South Korea's flag
Asia » South Korea » Taejon
September 27th 2009
Published: September 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Since it was forecasted to be a crappy day full of rain and gloom tomorrow, our usual trio decided to take advantage of today by exploring the Daejeon National Cemetery.

After getting off at, yup you guessed it, the National Cemetery subway station, we got out at exit #3 and started walking due west towards the cemetery. We were unsure as to the length of walking required before we actually hit the cemetery but it turned out to be approximately 15-20mins.

We noticed many flower stands on our way, with the occasional car stopping on the side of the road to pick up a floral bouquet on their way to the cemetery. From far away, I thought the flowers looked so beautiful and bright only to realize they were all fake & silky...how disappointing. Then again, it makes practical sense to buy fake flowers after one takes into consideration the weather and possibly how inconsistent graves are visited.

Once we descended upon the entrance, we were joined by many many cars and crowds of locals coming to visit the cemetery. I think these people may be going away for Chuseok next weekend thus coming a week earlier to pay respects to their relatives and loved ones.

As always being drawn to bodies of water, Ryan wanted to search for a pretty lake he saw in a picture nearby but sadly only saw some sort of swamp-like lake instead.

At the entrance way, two groups of magnificent-looking crystal-blue horses flanked either sides of the gate. They were called the Statue of Heavenly Horses and represented eternal progress and prosperity of the nation embedded on noble spirit of martyrs and deceased veterans like the horses' galloping power. Horses are a symbol of auspicious and loyal animals and have close relations with humans for a long time. Koreans made effective use of the horses in farming and hunting in the ancient times. In addition, naked horses are regarded as very holy and spiritual animals.

Walking further into the cemetery, we found ourselves surrounded by rows and rows of tombstones, each with their own bouquet of bright silk flowers. It was a breathtaking sight and just standing there, I could feel my own mood become subdued, matching the quiet and serene atmosphere around me.

We came upon a massive and dignified-looking monument towards the back of the cemetery. This turned out to be the Memorial Tower. It was established for the purpose of adoring and respecting national loyalty and for distinguished services of the patriotic martyrs who sacrificed their lives for the country and the peoples. It is 43m high and 110m wide. It designates the cemetery as a Holy Site.

Up next was an incredibly detailed-looking fountain called the Fountain of National Defense. Its image was meant to expedite dynamic activity and enhance patriotic spirit coupled with the static circumstances of solemnity and dignity in the national cemetery. As we sat in the shade in awe of the fountain, it suddenly stopped the water and became quiet. We're not sure, but it may have been stopped for a moment of silence?

Our last stop in the cemetery before departing was the National Defense area, filled with ancient former defense aircraft. The lawn was filled with enormous displays of aircraft such as an M46 battle tank, U17 Skywagon plane, OH23G Raven helicopter, and an F5B Freedom Fighter. No idea regarding the details about these machines, but they just looked damn cool. Snapped a photo of a trio of korean missiles too.

As we were walking back to the subway station, I managed to spot my very first praying mantis! How much more symbolic could that have gotten?


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



30th September 2009

nice photos of the place and description. thank you. i had passed by the station on the way to soccer games at the world cup stadium, which i think is the next staiton, or the next one after. your travelogue will prompt me to go this weekend, which is a the korean thanksgiving holiday. it should be pretty lively.

Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0569s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb