Day 1


Advertisement
South Korea's flag
Asia » South Korea » Seoul
August 23rd 2015
Published: August 23rd 2015
Edit Blog Post

BibimbapBibimbapBibimbap

The fanciest airplane food I ever had
On the flight I had some really good food called Bibimbap and the stewardess was kind enough to give me a little sheet of intructions (I would have done everything wrong otherwise haha).

We arrived in Incheon at around 4am and after going through immigrations KHS helped me get 100'000 won from the ATM (I was so glad she could help me, otherwise I would have never gotten my money it was so confusing).

We took the bus to her home and it was really heartwarming to see her greet her father when he came to pick us up at the station. That was the first time I reeeeaally knew I was in trouble language-wise. I hope I can learn to communicate in Korean quickly, because it took all of my concentration today to even understand the gist of what they're talking about.
Anyway, back to the story.

KHS's family lives in a very small, adorable apartment on the 9th floor.
Her mom made the best food ever for breakfast and i ate waaayyy too much...

After breakfast I met KHS's younger brother, his wife and their absolutely adorable 15-month-old daughter.
There were
BreakfastBreakfastBreakfast

It was so goooooooooooooooood!!!!
some awkward attempts at conversation since both parties spoke too little of the other language, but overall I really enjoyed meeting them.
The 7 of us went out hiking on top of a mountain/hill where a lot of locals like to go. It was very hot and humid, but not unbearable. We got there in a car with four of us squished into the back seat (five with the little kid). It was a pretty fun experience I have to admit.
When we got to the top the view was absolutely amazing. There was also an old fortress there that was really pretty. Sadly I can't remember what it was called.

At the top, the men of the family said I definitely had to try makgeolli (which is a traditional korean rice wine) and some food. Apparently that's a sort of tradition when you go hiking in korea. At the top, you drink maekgeolli and eat.

After we got back down, we went to a Japanese restaurant and ate a 10-course menu (i was already so full after the first 3 courses but the food was so good and I just couldn't stop eating
The FortressThe FortressThe Fortress

i feel so bad for not remembering what it's called
and in conclusion I gained about 20 pounds in 1 day)...
On our way back home I suddenly got really tired (combining jetlag plus a hike I guess that's understandable) and it got really hard to focus on anything anyone was saying.
Right now I'm sitting on the couch after a well needed shower and it's only 4pm... I'm so tired.

After eating so much food we ended up watching a cooking show.

Later in the evening, KHS's eldest sister and brother-in-law came to visit and they ordered fried chicken and beer. They also brought Soju, which I tried of course. I expected it to taste a lot stronger, but it was actually kind of sweet. But maybe that's just my tiredness speaking.

Tomorrow, KHS will bring me to the place I'm going to meet the ICYE representative. I'm looking forward to meeting her!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0454s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb