Changdeokgung + other -gungs & love hotels


Advertisement
South Korea's flag
Asia » South Korea » Seoul
June 4th 2012
Published: June 5th 2012
Edit Blog Post

MH @CityPk htlMH @CityPk htlMH @CityPk htl

dressing gown stylee (compare to lad on R!)
Think I will just do a quick one to keep this one rolling otherwise I will forget what I have done. I spent 3 nights at the Sutton Hotel as an initial base, then simply walked to my next home at the City Park Hotel for 4 nights at a cheaper rate (about $50 per night). This had a huge TV (see pic) and fast internet - the upload rate was insane compared to Oz - twice the download speed! Some snaps of the "curtains" on the car park to protect the identity of those who might be taking a long horizontal lunch.

It was close to the Changdeokgung palace so naturally went there. Will leave the snaps to tell the tale. Obviously the very distinctive paint style of decoration is uniquely Korean. There is also a Secret Garden there which you pay extra for and this is only available on a tour. Hope I am not getting things mixed up. It was "secret" but not that specially different or unique - other than you might have had to be an Emperor to get in previously.

There is another smaller Unyeokgung palace which was built by the Crown Prince
-CityPark htl room-CityPark htl room-CityPark htl room

chek da TV (and own computer)
or something which I later visited. This is a much simpler and smaller style as you will see from pix.

I later visited Jongmyo which is where the spirit tablets of all the emperors are stored. Snaps from there, and also the Gardens out the front. It was Sunday so had to go on an English tour which was good as the guide was very good and could answer questions well etc. Not so huge a group as the Secret Garden one either - 12 or so on Jongmyo and about 32 on the other. As you will see from the snaps lots of old men playing board games in the park outside.

In between times went over to Yongsan where there is a huge Ipark electronic mall which occupied me for a while. Got myself there a rather likely dodgy grey import new (? seemed so) macro lens for the camera with no warranty card - but at $350 (at home more like $650 at local retail) I think I can afford to pay to get it fixed if it breaks.

That will have to do - this is a daylight blog and I am now
City Park curtains carsCity Park curtains carsCity Park curtains cars

to semi-protect the shameful
at hotel no.3 - a hanok trad. Korean sleep on the floor jobbie and will move to a fourth tomorrow - when I decide what neighbourhood that will be. The luxury of plenty of time and plan the day before - not much by design, but rather organised chaos!


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Wedding HallWedding Hall
Wedding Hall

with crumbling Roman statues - waypoint to hotel
Unyeonggung emperor dressUnyeonggung emperor dress
Unyeonggung emperor dress

either 9 or 12 beads hanging down on 'hat'- cannot remember the meaning
Bokchon gasmeters?Bokchon gasmeters?
Bokchon gasmeters?

yes it is bizarre but that I like!
Yongsan area night fruit (& mirror)Yongsan area night fruit (& mirror)
Yongsan area night fruit (& mirror)

and drinkers on top of subway vent
Jongmyo Park gamesJongmyo Park games
Jongmyo Park games

it was Sunday so.....


5th June 2012

TV and more.
Hi Mike, Some TV! in your room, and computer. Why is it so internet so fast! Dr Julius Somner Millar? Amazing detail on the roof, and the gas meters, neat. Macro lens great value, Hotels are all excellent value as well. Huddo and girls.

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0507s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb