South Korea


Advertisement
South Korea's flag
Asia » South Korea » Seoul
May 1st 2010
Published: September 4th 2011
Edit Blog Post

South Korea, one of Asian Tigers, a developed country, the government invested strongly in education and the Korean are very focused and determined people, and that turned South Korea into a powerful country in industry and technology.
Seuol, the capital of South Korea, located at north of South Korea, very close to North Korea, maybe that is why the safe equipment in the subway stations, preventing a possible attack from North Korea.
We visited 2 museum in Seoul, one about the Korean history, there are so many elements similar to China, Korea adopted the confucianism as main religion from 1394, also was invaded by Japan in 1910. Another one is about the wars, South Korea participated so many battle since Korean war, South Korea indeed is a war veteran, and in war museum we discovered the reason of South Korea be the most catholic country from Asia, because Vatican helped to rebuild South Korea after Korean war, and so many another countries helped South Korea in Korean war as partners, probably that was reason for South Korea to participate so many battles, and also the phrase "Freedom is not free" in that war museum.
We woke up on Sunday, and reading some tourist folder, and we found that day is having a ceremony at Jongno, one time per year, so we went out quickly to the park where was having the annual ceremony. At main entrance for the ceremony, there were so many people playing GOH, a oriental board game, the purpose was to gain more territory, the rules are very simple, but extremely complex to make a good strategy; that is a game I wanted to learn and practice more, but I couldn't find the people for that. Back to the ceremony, that was a whole day event, the ceremony was for royal family, indeed I didn't understand how the ceremony works, we arrived there so late, and the ceremony already happened more than half, but we still could realize how big was the event.
Seoul also hosted a Olympics games and World Cup, and they utilized better the remained infrastructure after the sport events, there are now shopping, supermarket and stores.
Dog meat, that is a famous dish from Korea, but it is not so easy to find, and we realized the young people normally don't like to eat dog meat, the most of clients are middle age or older people, by the way, the meat is delicious, and there were so many information saying that is good for health.
The Korean DMZ (DeMilitarized Zone), the are between South and North Korea, there are armies from United Nations from south side of DMZ, preventing any attack from north side, there are some discovered tunnels made by North Korea trying to invade the South Korea, the cameras inside the tunnels are not allowed, the tunnels are very well dug, some tunnel can pass many infantries by a hour. We met some South Korean friend there, they said they can't be in DMZ, we couldn't understand very well the exact relationship between South and North Korea, probably there are some agreements after Korean war, when we were arriving in DMZ, we saw some electrical cables connecting both sides of Korea, we asked to the guide what is that for? and he said those cables are taking the energy from South Korea to North Korea. Everything we saw about North Korea in South Korea is bad, but the people, culture and history are the same from both sides, maybe that is the reason for South Korean to send the energy to north side, to help their brothers divided by the war. If I could I would like to go to North Korea to know how is the north side.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



7th September 2011

Eu quero ir pra lá.

Tot: 0.164s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0661s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb