Latin Festival, Seongbukcheon Fountain Square


Advertisement
South Korea's flag
Asia » South Korea » Seoul
June 18th 2011
Published: June 18th 2011
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Latin American Festival 42 secs
What happens when you mix Korean district government with three Latin embassies? A schmorgasboard of Latin street food from Peru, Brazil, Mexico, Sicily (don't ask), musicians, Capoeira dancing, dance lessons (to Elvis) and a crowded sidewalk. Today, we set out just before noon heading for the Latin American Festival in Seongbuk-gu near Hansung University. The street festival sounded great when reading their poster (see picture) and overall it was a good old-Korean time.

People crowding a street corner, strollers bumping into foreigners swigging back Latin brewed beers, plates of tacos and rellenas' being eaten by the dozens and loud music filling the air. Smiling we exchanged our Korean won for food tickets. Then jumped into line trying the Peruvian papa rellena, Mexican corn tacos filled with fresh homemade salsa, sauteed onions and beef, and two traditional Sicilian delicacies. Arancine a ball of rice mixed with saffron stuffed with a beef and vegetable tomato sauce and herbs. And one fritatta like quiche filled with delicious chunks of potato, red pepper, and onion. To wash it all down we drank Peruvian lager called Cusquena.

Midway through our second set of delicious treats a band of eight drummers began pounding out a harmonious racket filling the afternoon air. People sweating the afternoon sun began to dance, chant, cheer and sing along as the sun bounced off the concrete beneath our feet. As the drummers third set came to an end the people cheered shouting for an encore. Smiling the group turned around as the cheering welled on the street corner. Sticks began pulsating off the skin of each drum as the sounds ricocheted off the surrounding buildings. As the rhythmic sounds splashed through the air seven Capoeira dancers pranced into their gesturing martial art poses swinging arms, legs and hair while the crowd and drummers swayed back and forth in the joyous afternoon.



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.164s; Tpl: 0.029s; cc: 18; qc: 27; dbt: 0.1391s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb