Changdeok Royal Palace


Advertisement
South Korea's flag
Asia » South Korea » Seoul » Yangcheon-gu
October 21st 2011
Published: October 23rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

> Changdeok Palace was the beloved residence of the royal family during the Joseon dynasty (July 1392 – October 1897) . Joseon came to be the longest ruling Confucian dynasty and the last royal Korean empire in existence before the Japanese annexation in 1910.

There are two palace compounds on site--(1) Emperor Sunjong's primary residence and (2) the smaller structures to the east where, once stripped of power, Emperor Sunjong, his Empress, Crown Prince and Princess lived out their days. We visited both.

There are five royal palaces in South Korea. Changdeok Palace is known as the one that is most harmonious with nature.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Servant MarkersServant Markers
Servant Markers

Each headstone bears the name of one of the king's servants. The closer they stood to the throne, the higher in rank.
Emperor Sunjong's throneEmperor Sunjong's throne
Emperor Sunjong's throne

This structure served as the royal family's home before the annexation. The painting above the throne is a familiar image for Koreans. It serves as the backdrop for all our paper currency.
The emperor's final place of residenceThe emperor's final place of residence
The emperor's final place of residence

There were two tour groups that day--a Korean one to the left and a Japanese one to the right. This very courtyard was the place where the royal family was later killed by the Japanese. There is still some animosity between the two countries. I recall during my visit to Tokyo, Japan two years ago being told by my parents to be cautious about who I revealed my Korean nationality to. There are apparently some elders, from both sides, who still discriminate against one another. I found this scene ironic as I wondered how similar (or dissimilar) the tour guides' accounts were of the final days of the Joseon dynasty.


Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0455s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb