Teaching ESL: Korean Open Class


Advertisement
South Korea's flag
Asia » South Korea » Incheon
June 16th 2010
Published: June 25th 2010
Edit Blog Post

In Korean public schools, teachers are required to do at least one "Open Class" where teachers from other schools and government officials attend your class to evaluate your performance. Sometimes you are also videotaped, which I was today. In fact, I have yet to understand where the tape will be put to use, but I shove it aside as "one of those Korean things."

The Open Class followed weeks of preparation. I had to create a perfect lesson plan that felt more like a classroom advertisement. Then I dealt with rising tensions between me and my co-teacher. We had differing preferences. She wanted to rehearse the open class. Many schools do this in order to present perfect students who know all the answers and don't cause ruckus. I felt this would make the class superficial and predictable. I didn't want bored lemming students. I approached my co-teacher on the matter,

I understand why you would want to rehearse, and I think it's totally acceptable if you do that for your open class; however, as the lead-teacher in this classroom, I think the students will do great. I also think it will be more interesting for the guests to watch a real scenario.


Our biggest disagreement was our choice of students. I wanted a group of boys who were bright, creative and outspoken. My co-teacher wanted to use a different girls' class. Now, I had taught both classes longer than her (more drama involving her and school politics which I won't delve
ClassClassClass

This is the typical size of one class.
into), and knew that a majority of the girls were reserved and had only recently begun coming out of their shells. I didn't want to put them in an uncomfortable public situation. I also knew that a few of the girls were loud gossipers and unpredictable.

Don't get me wrong, I love both classes, but my dynamic is better with the former. After I politely expressed my opinion, my co tried to switch the classes behind my back (more than once). I was furious when I found out. Without raising my voice, I confronted the issue,

Mrs. Kim, I think the main problem we're facing is your insecurity. As their teacher, I know the boys are a fantastic group of students who are smart and whom I can trust to be on their best behavior when the day comes. I know this makes you nervous because you think a girls' class will be better, but I have taught the girls' class longer than you and I can tell you that they are more unpredictable. I appreciate that you told me your opinion, but I am putting my foot down on this, so please don't try to switch the class or schedule a rehearsal because I refuse to do either. I've been open to all the other requests, but I will be stubborn on these two points.


...things were tense.

My co-teacher decided to use the girls' class as her open class. I don't know if it was to prove me wrong, but it turned into a big fail. Half the class shut down in front of the teachers, while the other half gossiped and ignored my co. One particularly stubborn girl talked back to the teacher to my co's embarrassment. I didn't wish badluck on my co-teacher but couldn't avoid feeling a bit of an "I told you so" relief that my class choice had stuck. Finally, I reached my Open Class without a meltdown. *whew*

Class

Begins

My students arrive early (miracle of miracles) as do the officials and guests. The secondhand picks up speed as I have 10 minutes to clean-up my last "2nd year" class and prepare for the following "1st year" lesson (equivalent to 7th graders in the US): review the 5 W's & H, how to ask permission, and making phone calls, watch the time, wait, why is my co-teacher handing out random papers? Where did these papers come from?

I shift into myoh-well-too-latemode and turn to the student poking me on the shoulder. "Me - sell," says my adorable rotund student with a slight lisp, "What is your religion?" Quick, think of something that won't make the shy student feel dismissed. "Oh my gosh! I don't remember! I'm getting so old. Bad memory! Maybe I'll remember next class?" I say while overacting a scratch on my head. I have thus far avoided speaking religion to anybody in a 5-mile radius where the predominant religions are Christianity, Catholicism, and Buddhism with the occasional Jehovah's Witness who knocks on my door.

The class bell rings.

Okay, "Hellooooo!"

"Hello Michelle/Te-chuh/Saeng/Me-shell Te-chuh!"

I get into my usual groove and go with the flow. "One more person, tell me the 5 W's and H." In fact, I'm surprised by the many hands that are eager to share a When, Where, What, Why, Who, and How, so I can't pick all of them. I will make sure to choose the crestfallen students in the next round of hand-raising or they might lose their hopes, dreams, and futures. So much pressure!

New Material



I explain the first new concept, "May I borrow your pen?" "Can I take your pencil case?" "Is it OK if I keep your glasses forever?" And each student nods, "Yes." I take advantage of their generous hearts and strut around with a pair of XS glasses on my head. Audience laughs on mark. Nice.

Then I wait...for my co-teacher to translate. And, I get nothing. I walk over to her as if I've forgotten something and mouth, "Translation?" and she quickly waves her hands no and whispers, "You'll be ok. Go ahead." I'm taken aback because last Friday, she strongly insisted on having a greater part in the lesson, so we had switched things around to increase her participation. It's not that she's being vengeful. Despite
Jenga ReviewJenga ReviewJenga Review

Creative stacking
the earlier mentioned drama, we forgive and forget very quickly to maintain a good office atmosphere. She's just nervous in front of all the guests. Some things can't be planned.

Okay. Back to the students, "Any questions?"

No questions. *whew*

I have the students practice making calls so they can come up and wow the adults with their role-playing. Most teachers are afraid to use role-play in open classes because classroom noise and behavior can run out-of-control, thus the appeal, in my opinion.

In the back, RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE VIDEO CAMERA, two of my students draw long streaking pen marks on each others' arms. I walk over to them, in front of the camera and tell them to stop, give them my squinty eyes that they understand, and they agree to behave.

Since my co-teacher has decided to practically vanish from the class, standing on the side with arms crossed and lips sealed, I must walk around telling the students to keep the volume down as they practice, helping them with their dialogues, and having eyes on the back of my head to make sure students are behaving. My trusty trick that works miracles with this particular class is the 5-4-3-2-1 countdown. The students begin counting down with me as the volume shrinks down to zip. The teachers seem impressed. Score.

"Who wants to volunteer with their partner?"

"Me! Me! MEMEMEMEMEE!"one of my student's cries. His eyes bulge as his raised arm elevates his butt from the chair. He switches tactic to "Us! Us! USUSUSSUSUSUSSS-uh!" So I let them go first.

My favorite classes aren't the calm and quiet ones. I have more fun with the students who are extra-creative and willing to step out of the box. They say wacky stuff with hilarious melodrama:

"Hi, can I speak to Kim Ye Joon?"
"No! You have wrong number!" *insert evil laugh* CLICK.

or

"Hello?"
"Hello. Can I speak to Mr. Park, please?"
"This is he speaking."
"Hi Mr. Park, this is Gunwoo. Do you remember me?"
"Sorry, I don't."
"You don't remember me? I never forgive you. I jump off cliff. Goodbye."

This goes on for about 15-20 minutes. I give the students stickers based on (1)their ability to use the new material, (2)creativity, and (3)how clear and loud they speak.



In the
Physicals DayPhysicals DayPhysicals Day

All the students preparing for the rest of the day with morning stretches.
heat, it is harder to maintain students' concentration because they are hyper and sweating and wanting to play outside, so I have to stay animated(= more sweat) using exaggerated hand gestures, pacing, and a hyperbolic voice. There is an AC, but the school doesn't turn it on until the dead-heat later on in the summer. One of these days, somebody will have a heatstroke and I think things will change. I suck it up.

We go over two short audio lessons in the book (1-2 minutes each) and I give students stickers for correct answers. Most native teachers agree that you always need incentive. Oftentimes, we don't give students grades and this can decrease students' motivation in class. Candy is the easy way to go, but it can lead to more disruptive classes in the long run as well as rotten teeth. Stickers can take a little extra money out of your pocket, but I think it's fun and it works up to 3rd years (9th graders in the US) in middle school. Keep in mind that these kids are considered 1-year old out of the womb. This makes them younger and more ahead of the curve compared to
Sticker PaperSticker PaperSticker Paper

This is the handout where students collect stickers. This student got creative with it.
Western education. Add the extreme competition, over-studying and little sleep, and they do get a kick out of childish things like stickers. For high-school you might want to come up with something different as fellow teachers may look down on it.

Wrap-up!



Now, it's always better to over plan than under plan for classes. If you have too much material you never run out of ideas. If you have too little, you may run into a blank state of what do I do now?!! You always have to think fast on your feet.

I had re-planned this lesson to oblige my co's request to participate more; unfortunately, she had tanked, so I was left with 5 extra minutes--not enough time for my back-up dictation activity and I didn't want to suck things up with lame hangman (which I save for extreme situations of running out of ideas and needing to waste class time)--so I choose an extended wrap-up.

"Who can give me examples of asking permission?"

Students raise hands, less than earlier because the heat and late afternoon are getting to them. Still, they give their best. "Can I use the bathroom?" "May I drink some water?" "Is it OK if I play outside?" "Teacher, can I have all of the stickers?" Looking at the clock, I ask for more examples.

"Good job you guys! Now, I want somebody who is brave. Somebody brave...to come up and practice making a phone call with me. Practice with teacher." All the time, I'm thinking, please raise your hands, please raise your hands. They are scared without the back-up dialogue on the screen. So, I raise the bar to "Four stickers!" And their little eyes grow big (imagine a cookie jar) and their little hands shoot up.

"Okay! Come on up! Do you want to make the call or answer the call?"
"Make the call."
...

And right as we finish, the class bell rings.

Evaluation



In Korea, such evaluations and those by your co-teacher basically stay in your record. If you ever want a good placement in a future job, you want to score well. Our guests headed to a different part of the school where they would take a meeting with the English department in my school.



Comments by the guests:


• "I was confused because I thought she was the Korean teacher. I thought, 'Wow, she speaks English very well!' Then I realized she is the native teacher."
• "She is the best teacher I have seen in Incheon."
• "She spoke slowly so students could understand. Our native teacher speaks too fast."
• "very diligent"
• "The students were amazing! And I thought they wouldn't understand, but they did. I am very impressed."
• "I think Mrs. Kim (co-teacher) should have participated more. She didn't really do anything and this is supposed to show 'co-teaching.'"
• "Why does your school always have the best native teachers? Last year's native teacher was one of the best teachers I had seen, too. Why doesn't our school get good native teachers like that?"



Now, this is all what I heard from my co-workers, so the statements may have been exaggerated to tout my horn, but all-in-all I was very happy and relieved. A part of me some (1-2) negative responses, if anything, because I think constructive criticism helps us improve in any field. If there were any, I don't think my co would have told me to spare my feelings. Who knows?





Let me know if you have
CheeringCheeringCheering

There are awards for the class that cheers the best.
any questions about teaching in Korea. I'll help if I can~ 😊

Other entries on teaching in Korea:
Teaching ESL Camp - Activities, Tips, and Experience
First Day Teaching ESL in Korea + Misc Information

Photos are of students who visit my office frequently, Winter Camp, Physicals Day when students dress up and try to win awards, and a field-trip to Everland. The field trip included karaoke on the bus-ride where I sang Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody." The students renamed it "Great Mamaaaaa Song!" Doesn't matter if you have a rough day at work here, the students will ALWAYS make you laugh. 😱


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Bus KaraokeBus Karaoke
Bus Karaoke

The girls just romp down the bus singing and dancing. Don't know how safe it is, but it's a lot of fun.


25th June 2010

Well done on the eval!
Hi Michelle, Just checked out your blog entry, well done with the evaluation!
27th June 2010

Thanks, Brett! :) I'm so glad to be done with it. How are things in Busan? Do you like your new school and living accommodation?
30th November 2011

Good job!
This makes me feel like I can succeed as well. Those kids seem like they have good spirit. I can't wait. I'm still working through the visa process. I think the co teacher seems like a hassle. I am working through Oxford Seminars so I feel they will set me up with a quality private school (I like the idea of smaller classes and working in the evening- shoot, just thinking of that maybe it will help to beat the heat). The representative from the hiring program I'm in contact with seems like a good guy so I'm fairly confident. Know anything about Hands Korea?

Tot: 0.2s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 30; qc: 89; dbt: 0.0895s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb