The last four months...


Advertisement
Published: May 24th 2010
Edit Blog Post

WinterWinterWinter

Evidence of the long cold winter.
I have finally had time to post after four months! Since going to China, we have endured a seemingly never-ending winter especially coming from New Mexico where winter ends in February!

Spring finally arrived in May, w/ summer quickly coming. In February our church moved to a new beautiful building and we have been enjoying the services there. Richard briefly grew a beard—it came out grey and he looks much younger without it—so it did not stay long.

In January, I was part of the teaching staff for a one-month program and one of the interesting phenomena was how close the middle school students become to each other. There were streams of tears and wailing on the last day when they had to leave each other.

I went to a “nori-bang” w/ a couple of friends. It is a karyoke room, which you rent for an hour or two. It was great fun. The Koreans love their song and dance.

In February I was able to teach in a month long program to a lovely group of preMBA students going to a grad school in the USA. They were from China, Korea, Taiwan, and Thailand. They were so responsive—I have never taught such cooperative students and it was a welcome joy for me as a teacher.

One of the students invited me to their wedding! The ceremony is very short and the parents of the couple play a main role in the ceremony. During the meal, the new couple greets all the tables and there is long picture taking session. The whole thing only lasts about an hour and half. Koreans are efficient and do not linger—even at weddings.

The boys came w/ us to Seoul tower, which was fun. We had dinner together and then enjoyed taking a tram up to the tower where we saw lovely night views of Seoul. Richard and I lost track of the time and had to stay overnight at the dorm because we missed the last bus back to where we teach and live.

Over several weekends, Richard and I visited a Korean neighborhood w/ traditional houses, a prison where Japanese persecuted Koreans during the Japanese occupation of Korea and the tallest building in Seoul.

We also went on three field trips with the boy’s school which were great. We visited the National museum in the
Wailing Korean studentsWailing Korean studentsWailing Korean students

They are not faking it--many real tears after one month together.
country, a Korean Folk Village, and a boat trip on the Han River. All were fantastic and we had decent weather. It’s wonderful to be around the kids.

This last week, I participated in a traditional rope pull sponsored by Ewha University which was great fun. I helped make the rope from straw one evening and helped in the tug of war a few nights later.

Last weekend the boys’ school had a sports festival. Chris made a winning soccer goal and Nick smoked the other runners in his leg of the final relay race.

So that’s our last four months in a nutshell. Thanks for reading. God Bless you all. Kasia



Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Nori bangNori bang
Nori bang

My young friends and I in the singing room. Cheap and fun entertainment complete with a disco ball.
Seoul towerSeoul tower
Seoul tower

A short tower on a medium sized mountain. Fun to be together.
My PreMBA StudentsMy PreMBA Students
My PreMBA Students

Celebrating end of a hard month of English study.
My studentsMy students
My students

Korean English teachers. I learned from them and they learned from me. Lovely to be w/ them.
Yours trulyYours truly
Yours truly

In front of the shiney tallest building in Seoul--overlooks the Han river.
With friends With friends
With friends

I attended a 50th wedding anniversary with a few friends. So happy to wear my traditional Korean dress.
At the dormAt the dorm
At the dorm

We played cards together. The boys and friends were taking a break from studying Korean.
Another beautiful door.Another beautiful door.
Another beautiful door.

The traditional homes have lovely wooden doors. They sometimes hang chilis like in New Mexico. The "vigas" are similar too.
Folk VillageFolk Village
Folk Village

Nick w/ traditional sword.
National museumNational museum
National museum

Everyone poses at the monument representing praying hands.
Beautiful presentationBeautiful presentation
Beautiful presentation

Went w/ a fellow teacher to "Meju Flower" restaurant. Every dish served w/ flowers as well as beautiful flowers surrounding the restaurant.
On the boatOn the boat
On the boat

An hour long boat ride on the Han river. Chris had managed to "slip" into the river earlier.


Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0421s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb