Paintball War


Advertisement
South Korea's flag
Asia » South Korea » Gyeonggi-do » Paju » Beopheung-ro
November 6th 2010
Published: December 26th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Paintball FieldPaintball FieldPaintball Field

X-games field under construction
Two weeks ago, Andrew, Tim and I met a random Korean guy out front of the local GS25 at 3:35 in the morning!
We were grabbing a bite to eat after a session of noribong, the korean version of karokee where you are placed in a small room with microphones, sound speakers and a karokee machine! We had been out with a bunch of co-workers but they had all left us at the convenience store. During one of our discussions this random Korean guy started asking us random broken English questions prompting Andrew to speak in Korean. After several minutes of conversation we all walked behind the GS25 heading for our cars.

Peering into the backseat of the Korean guys Samsung K7 automobile I spotted box upon box of Red Tiger Ball Paint! Quickly we asked if he knew of a place to play? He stated he owned a field not to far from where we were standing then he handed us his business card stating, "give call me discount you play." Smiling, we all climbed into our cars and left the parking lot.

Ages ago I spent a couple of summers with three guys in Summit County, Colorado
Paintball MarkersPaintball MarkersPaintball Markers

Tipperman 100-round semi-automatics
shooting paintball in local tournaments. Recalling the thrill of paintballs whizzing past there came an adrenaline rush unlike anything I had felt before. Moving targets, shooting at eachother and all in the name of F.U.N.!!!

A few weeks went by and I decided to send out an email via the Social Committee, to see if anyone would be interested in getting together for a round of paintball at the local x-games field. With a decent response from the community, I arranged a date of Saturday, November 6th for twelve players. As the date became closer we began to have people dropping off like flies... in the end Harry and Leigh, Matt, Kenny, James, Scott, Keith, David, Shauna and myself turned up at the paintball fields in four cars.

The paintball fields are located ten minutes from English Village on the way to the Shabu Shabu Restaurant. Turning right we went down the road, over a hill and turned right again onto a farmers dirt road. At the end of the short road was our guy, waiting for us in his car. We followed him up the hill, around a couple of corners and into a parking lot. On
Instruction RoomInstruction RoomInstruction Room

The Quonset hut
our left was a screened in forest paintball field. Complete with barrels, hay stacks, sand bags and gullies amongst the foliage. Straight ahead was another field under construction.

Getting out of the cars, we headed for the main quisinet hut where we would await our last two players, drink a cup of coffee and prepare our senses for the game ahead. We were also given instructions on how to use the equipment, how to shoot the paintball marker properly so it wouldn't jam and what to do when you were hit, all this came to us in broken English and charages!

Eventually the game of charades was over. We split into teams through a selection process letting Shauna and Leigh be the team captains. In the end the sides were split into the green team: Leigh, Harry, Scott, Matt and myself versus the black team: Shauna, Keith, Kenny, David and James. Each of us were given a face mask, neck protector, chest protector and paintball marker. The final bit of protection were camoflauge fatigues: pants and jacket except being bigger than the average Korean man, they were fresh out of "Big Size."

Over the course of four
Pre-matchPre-matchPre-match

Instructions via charades on equipment usage
hours we played four rounds; Round 1 & 2 were last man standing meaning whoever still had members playing won - Green Team won twice. Round 3; was known as the Snipper Round when a snipper was added to the field. A neutral party shooting at booth sides but it didn't stop the Green Team from pummeling both the opposing team and the snipper! The final round of the afternoon was Round 4 also known as the "Kings" (Queens) Game, where you had to defend your Queen. Shauna and Leigh played the positions of Queens, being hidden from the soldiers. The object was to capture the other teams Queen. IF you did, you won. Ironically, our team played the attacking role, once again which failed in this all out defensive strategy the Black Team had put together. When the whistle blew, our Queen was standing alone facing a soldier and the other Queen. Victorious at last the Black Team went home without being shut down.

After the grilling rounds of paintball and returning our equipment we thanked our three Korean hosts for the entertainment and proceed to the cars idly chatting about hunger and Shabu Shabu down the road.
Gearing UpGearing UpGearing Up

Putting on Chest and Neck Protectors, Face Masks and Camo-clothing
Piling into the cars, we met up at the restaurant for conversation over a few beers and a delicious lunch! Until next time, watch out for the enemy and start thinking about strategy!

** NOTES **
All pre-match photographs were taken by Aaron.
All match photographs were taken by our host at the fields using Aaron's camera.

After our final match of the day "the queen's game", he asked that I send him pictures of us all in action.
Koreans for some strange reason think that their business will be seen as "more friendly" if they use foreign people for their advertising strategies. He asked for some of the relevant match photographs depicting various players in shooting positions. It took fifteen minutes of charades and hand gestures to comprehend what he was asking for and why? A few days ago, I received the following email from the Korean Paintball field guy, the first guy we originally met at the GS25.



From: 노우찬
To: Aj JacksonCrabb

Tankyou Aj jacksonCrabb for using paintbol!!








Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Pre-match Team PhotosPre-match Team Photos
Pre-match Team Photos

Black Team: Kenny, David, Keith, Shauna, James Green Team: Matt, Aaron, Scott, Harry, Leigh
On the moveOn the move
On the move

Scott trying to change his position
HiddenHidden
Hidden

Between a barrel and a tree trunk
Matt Attack!Matt Attack!
Matt Attack!

Aaron in background scoping out targets
Harry's Death WishHarry's Death Wish
Harry's Death Wish

Peaking over the top of his protection.
Crouched...Crouched...
Crouched...

and firing up hill at the enemy!
Between MatchesBetween Matches
Between Matches

Taking a breather while the hoppers are reloaded.
Down and DirtyDown and Dirty
Down and Dirty

James strategy; lay low and fire!
Last MatchLast Match
Last Match

Face Shot = death
Queens MatchQueens Match
Queens Match

Aim and Fire... Keith laying down and Kenny up top
Queens Match OverQueens Match Over
Queens Match Over

Leigh, Shauna and Keith


Tot: 0.234s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 14; qc: 72; dbt: 0.1216s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb