Jung Do Island - Chuncheon


Advertisement
South Korea's flag
Asia » South Korea » Gangwon-do » Chuncheon » Jungdo Island
March 15th 2010
Published: March 17th 2010
Edit Blog Post

This place is so great for families with kids / dog owners / couples / singles etc. Its truly a great way to escape the city for a few hours or a few days! Jungdo Island is located really close to Chuncheon city centre. Buses 74 and 75 drop you right outside the ferry terminal. These buses are very infrequent however. We ended up taking a cab from Emart/Intercity bus terminal. The cab was 3000 won. The ferry terminal itself is small with several small convenience stores. A return ticket and admission to Jungdo Island is 5,300 won per adult. Dogs are allowed and we saw several other dogs while we were there! The ferry runs every 30 minutes (between 09:00 and 17:00) to and from the island and takes around 7-10 minutes.

Once you get off the ferry at the other side you will walk right onto the island and the bike rental store. There are many different types of bike available for rent and the prices vary depending on the one you take. A regular adult 2-wheeled bike is 4000 won per hour. There are also tandems, tricycles, and kids bikes. We went to eat our picnic lunch before renting a bike so as not to waste the cycling time. The island is a reasonable size with large green open spaces. It was fairly quiet as its still only spring but I imagine in summer this place is packed! There are tennis courts, football pitches and an outdoor pool as well as long walking paths and picnic areas and a restaurant.

We rented two bikes after lunch and cycled the whole island on several different paths for the hour. The weather was great, we were lucky. The cycle path that loops the end of the island "Esperanza Way" is really pretty. Most people, it seems, rent a bike for an hour. In my opinion, an hour is plenty of time. We saw a few people who seemed to have their own bikes there. I didn't see any one the passenger ferry however.

There is also a car ferry at the terminal and there were several cars on the island owned by campers. There are small cabins that are available for rent and we same some people with tents. If you are planning a day trip only its completely unessesary to bring a car. There is ample free parking at the ferry terminal.

The food options at the island were limited. There was only one restaurant that seemed to be closed. There were no convenience stores or places to buy a drink/ice cream but maybe there are in summer.

Overall this is a great day out for everyone. I will definately go again in summer and the dog had a great day also!





Advertisement



Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0492s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb