The DCs go to the beach


Advertisement
South Korea's flag
Asia » South Korea » Daegu » Jung-gu
August 24th 2010
Published: August 25th 2010
Edit Blog Post

City Daegu
Language Korean
Currency Korean Won - 850 = NZ$1
Climate Low 26c - high 34c Fine and sunny
Today we decided to join Kala and Shane with a trip to the beach for the Beach Volleyball competition as part of the Firefighter Games that they had entered. We met bright and early in the lobby at 6.30am in order to catch the supplied transportation. Firstly, a stop at EXCO to collect other competitors and then, a nice leisurely drive across the hills to the beach about an hour and a half away. The event was held at Bukbu Beach in the coastal town of Pohang.
Another gorgeous day - sunny and very balmy at about 35 degrees C. There were very few on the bus and we wondered who the competition would be for the "mixed team" event. As it turned out the Kiwis played the Poms and came second in the one and only game that was also the final - so silver medals for Kala and Shane. Not wanting to miss out on a play in the sand, Shaun managed to get a friendly game against another couple (made up with staff from the organising team) looking for a match. Shaun was partnered with a very experienced ex-National representative. A very entertaining and energetic game it was too!
After a quick dip in the cold ocean we all headed back in the bus about 2.30pm armed with beer, chippies and ice cream to ward off the hunger pangs . On the way we all compared sunburn and nodded off to the Korean adverts playing on the big-screen tele.
On arrival back at EXCO, we checked on times and numbers of competitors for the next day’s activities. We also looked into postal options to send stuff back home (have to keep the luggage weight down for our Ryanair fight in a couple of weeks!). We have collected a bit of memorabilia that we don't need for the rest of the trip, so home it goes. Next, we went to the local computer store - just a few minutes walk down the road. Finally, a mouse was purchased for the netbook - yay! Makes writing these blogs so much easier - so a great investment of 22,000W - or NZ$25 approx.
Hot, tired and very hungry we took a cab back to the hotel, showered and met in the bar for “happy hour”. A couple of margaritas later we ventured back down into the city centre buzz. Along one of the many side alleys we found the best restaurant yet - “pasta ya” served Italian/Korean fusion fare and we loved it!
To assist the digestion we had a quick look around the sports shops to look for cooler running singlets for the next days events. After some success we headed home for bed.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



26th August 2010
champion play

I so jealous
Awesome to see you are having a cool time. At least when you get lost, you are seeing things you wouldnt otherwise see :)

Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0504s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb