A Beautiful Day in South Korea


Advertisement
South Korea's flag
Asia » South Korea » DMZ
April 17th 2015
Published: April 18th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Hyundais ready for shipment filled the Port of Incheon as we arrived in South Korea this morning.

It was a little chilly when we walked to our bus this morning for our tour but the sun was shining and there was no smog from China.

When we arrived at the DMZ area we were surprised to see rides and gift shops near the Freedom Bridge. We used the restroom facility there and then reboarded the bus to go to the DMZ third tunnel.

We were warned by our guide to take pictures only from behind this yellow line on the observation deck. The line was four feet from the wall and had view finders that were in the way. After taking our photos we approached the wall and obeyed the rule until a huge group of Chinese tourists showed up and started taking pictures like crazy. We then decided to take pictures too. When we finished and turned around there was a guard who hadn’t been there but he didn’t say or do a thing. ????? Very puzzling.

A tram was provided down to the third tunnel where we walked in a stooped manner. The tunnel was
Third Tunnel MonumentThird Tunnel MonumentThird Tunnel Monument

Depicts the desire to unify with North Korea
dug by the North Koreans to invade South Korea but was discovered before they finished. We had to wear hard hats thankfully as it was easy to hit your head on the craggy ceiling.

We were shown a film short which felt stilted. The South Koreans are waiting for unification… how will that ever happen?

Lunch was at a Korean restaurant and the food was the best that we have had in Asia. I tasted the kimchee but it was the only thing I didn’t care for.

On to Seoul which is a modern city and was extremely crowded as most large cities are. There were dozens of police passenger buses and police on the streets as there was some sort of demonstration but we didn’t know the whys or wherefores.



A very interesting day which left us scratching our heads…


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



18th April 2015

Korea
You sure do get around!!!!are you bringing home a Hyundai? You both look great enjoy.....
19th April 2015

Wow and wow
Just read a whole bunch of your entries. The pictures capture it so well. You both must be exhausted from so many new and different experiences. It sounds like you are having a magnificent journey. I liked the pic of you two on the elephant! Leaving here this Friday. We are very very busy now that everyone is leaving and so we have a dinner date almost every night this week. Visited Jan in Cocoa Beach. They are doing well. We are meeting them for dinner Monday because Jan forgot to give me the baby gift for Finny and she doesn't want to mail it. Good excuse to meet for dinner. We are sad to be leaving but glad to be going home. All is well. Hope Jerry is feeling all better. L, NNNNN?

Tot: 0.34s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.2812s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb