Last part of singapore


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore
January 12th 2009
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 1.28941, 103.85

visited Sentosa island arriving there by cable car from harbour point. It is a glorified theme park of what was once a fishing town. No fishermen to be seen now. The Sky Tower affords views of the city. The aquarium is very good and well laid out and not too big. The Dolphin Lagoon is fine if you havent ever seen a Dolphin show before, as Seaworld in US does it better. The Cineblast log flume ride is good for kids and for you if you havent been on a 3D ride where you are stationary but the seat moves in tune to the film on screen. There is a nice beach to which families bring picnics if they want a cheap day out. Singapore is expensive especially for alcohol. London prices
As it was coming up to Chinese New Year the streets in Chinatown are decorated and heaving with people buying at the numerous street markets. We needed a restaurant that sold wine and took credit cards otherwise I am sure we could have had a cheap street meal. However as elegance is the byword for this trip, we ended up at Da Dongs by Fatty Weng. Once more we over ordered- half a roast duck, small portion of pork ribs, chilli prawns, mushrooms with vegetables and fried rice. Doesnt sound much but the small portions are big. We manfully finished by washing it down with 2 bottles of Oz wine. Walking back to Raffles -looks a long way but isnt at all. Everyone goes round in taxis because it is hot but we love the heat. There is a bar on the corner opposite Raffles called the Bronzeit which was great to have a late evening beer while we people watched.
Our final day in Singapore began with breakfast in Raffles- an excellent buffet but the waiters are a bit slow in replenishing the teacup. After breakfast we tried the Singapore Art Museum which by chance was free entry on Monday from 12 to 2pm. Just as well as the hyper modern art was not really our thing. We tried another museum down the road only to find it closed so repaired for a beer. It is advisable to check opening times but for the first time I hadnt bought a city guide- unlike me! We strolled along to see what the Pan Pacific and Mandarin Oriental hotels were like but they were ultra modern and impersonal so back to Raffles we went for High Tea. As well as the usual sandwiches, cakes and scones there was also a selection of Dim Sum, spring rolls and singapore noodles- where else to have decent singapore noodles? This did mean I overate so couldnt even manage the smoked salmon etc offered in the lounge at Changi airport- quel domage! However there is always room for a few glasses of champagne.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0444s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb