Singapore, in a nutshell.


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore
February 19th 2011
Published: October 14th 2011
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: magnets covered in a kind of metal dust 14 secs
Is really friggin expensive.

I should leave it at that, but I’ll give a little bit more I guess. For the past couple of days we’ve been wandering around the city trying to go to museums (many have been closed or remodeling or whatever makes them inaccessible) or certain areas of the city such as Chinatown and Little India but have had rotten luck. Every time we go nothing is there or is the opposite of what we’d thought it would be.

We went to the Science center (best gift shop EVER!) and bought a ticket for the CSI exhibit too. We didn’t know it was geared towards children. It was a neat idea and set up well except for the fact that it gave you all of the answers to the mysteries! We decided not to re-enter for Case #2 or #3 and just hit the road. (There's a video below of a cool sound exhibit, but you can also view it here)

It rained off and on every day, but pretty much never surpassed anything more than a sprinkle. It was nice to have the rain because it cooled the air and there was never any lightning. I think the best part for me was when I shaved Ronald's head! His whole head, including facial hair, so now he is basically bald and no longer blonde. Hope some birds got some good use out of the remains!

Basically there are tons of expensive places – the beer in 7-Eleven is the same price it would be in a bar in the US. The only cheap food is at hawker centers, but the city is beautiful. It would be a nice place to take a vacation, I think. Then you wouldn’t be so appalled at prices or trying to stick to a small budget.

Our flight to Manila leaves tomorrow at 6:30 am, so we took the last bus at 11:30ish to get to the airport. Judging from the prices on hostelworld.com, we should be much more at ease there, budget-wise.

Technical details
-A single-trip metro card can be bought and then you will be refunded $1.00 at the machine afterwards
-On both buses and the metro you are charged by the distance you travel
-They have instant mashed potatoes in 7-Eleven and they’re actually pretty good
-There are malls everywhere
-The riverside is very pretty at night and lined with restaurants and bars
-We never saw any poor people or beggars – where are they hiding?
-Bus 27 goes to the airport, terminals 2, 3 and “Budget” (discrimination, I say!)

Advertisement



Tot: 0.137s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0562s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb