Craig, Mum and Dad in Singapore


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore
July 7th 2010
Published: July 7th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Craig, Marcia (Mum) and Ron (Dad) in Singapore,
Wednesday July 7, 2010
Blogged by Craig

Dear all ,
Hello from hot and sunny Singapore. Mum , Dad and I left a cloudy an cold Melbourne last Friday arvo.
So, I'm very happy to be back in South East Asia, albeit "Asia Lite" for Mum and Dad. But, we are having a fantastic time.Singapore is just as clean and organised as I recall. It has made great strides in recent years to shed its sterile Utopian image, and there's oodles of cool stuff going on.

We got a taxi from airport into town. Dad was amused - he says all the taxi's are 4 cylinder desiel, 5 speed boxes of metal with howling diffs. (Whatever that means.)
The first morning saw a storm pass through - heavy rain - so we went the to National Museum, which was very good, including an amazing "art " display of 99 life-sized wolves all running up into the air and smashing into a wall. you'll just have to see the pics later. After the rain stopped, we did the Orchard Road shops. Then that night we went to Chinatown for dinner (where our hotel is). I wanted M an D to experience cheap hawker style food court and try some novel Asian food. I asked Dad what he would like, and he replied:
"a Steak sandwich and a VB." I said, "well, that is not likely. Try something else."
"OK, I'll have an Egg McMuffin and then we can go to the pub !" We ended up eating great food - I had excellent black pepper steak stir fry.
The next day was warm and sunny and we took ourselves along Clarker Quay/ Singapore river, lined with eateries and colonial buildings. I again indulged my reptile passion and got photographed holding an albino python. Then we got a cab to the new Marina Bay Sands Casino/Hotel. This is the thing with the SkyPark on top - a HUGE ocean liner shaped area striding the top of the 3 hotel buildings. It has a pool and bars etc ,along its length. The views over Singapore and to Malaysia beyond were mind blowing. The place is for seriously cashed up jet-setters. There was a hug pool on top, which looks straight across to the city skyscrapers. (check google images for Marina Bay Sands skypark).

Then we went to the Asian Civilisation Museum, with a guide, who explained the rich cultural melting pot that in Singapore- the original Malays, the Chinese, the Britsih and the Indians. It was also very good.
We spent a great evening back at Clarke Quay at an outdoor wine bar. Balmy weather, watching bumboats with little red lanterns plpying up and down the river. Mum and I had some winbe, and Dad probably had too many whiskies. When we got up to leave, he leant on a low light green wall to adjust his shoe. But it was not a wall, but a finely manicured low hedge, and he fell in. The only thing visible being his Smiddy legs hanging out. Much laughter eminated from the other patrons. Bloody drunk Aussies.

Dad has actually been a trooper in trying the food on the street - such as squares of fried pork and beef (which I of course would not eat) but also roti's etc (I have been dosing them both with travelan before each meal just in case).

The next day we went to Jurong Bird Park - which of course is my heaven. I have been once before. And it was as fantastic as ever. M and D absolutely loved it. Then the next day we went over to Sentosa Island, and had a great day at selected attractions there. Some attractions are kitsch and Disney-like , but other are good. The highlight was the evening "songs of the Sea" show on the beach, which uses lazers and god knows what else projected on to huge sprays of water. It was just brilliant. Never seen anything like it before (incl the Thai shows we saw).

Today is a rest day before zoo tomorrow. M and D have been just great in walking everywhere. They love the super fast and efficient MRT (train) that zips from place to place. Mum keeps commenting how shit and graffittied our public transport system is in comparison.
Enough
bye
luv,
Craig, Marc and Ron



Advertisement



7th July 2010

Hello
Hi Craig, Mum and Dad, I'm very pleased you are all having a great time, must say I'm quite jealous reading your blog. Looking forward to seeing all the photo's. Take care and dad, try and stay out of the bushes you piss pot! Rodd and Rach and the boys.

Tot: 0.365s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 27; qc: 89; dbt: 0.0979s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb