Singapore - Is this still really Asia?


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore
June 23rd 2010
Published: July 4th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Our journey to Singapore took a while as we had to go back into Cambodia to catch the flight from Phnom Phen (which we had already booked). It started early in the morning with a flight from Vientiane to Phnom Phen followed by a 5 hour wait in Cambodia and then onto Singapore.

I was very relieved that we were able to book right through to Singapore as this meant we didn't have to get new visas to enter Cambodia which apart from the $40 that it would cost we also needed pictures which we didn't have.

The lounge at Phnom Phen is small and we wondered how we were going to keep outselves occupied for 5 hours. Shenton finds the internet and starts to have a look online and I get out the guitar as there are not many people around. As soon as I start to play, one of the staff comes running over and asks if he can sing with me. I am in heaven! I have a man sitting with me, turning the pages of my guitar song book and singing along with me. Shenton can barely keep a straight face but I don't care, in the end I have to stop playing as my fingers are sore and I have run out of songs that I know! All he keeps saying is do you know any slow songs, the Cambodians love their love songs, so I try Crazy by Patsy Cline but I think Country and Western music doesn't quite translate.

We arrive in Singapore and immediately feel like we have entered a completely new world, there are modern roads and pavements and all the buildings are impressive skyscapers. It does not even feel like we are in Asia anymore. We are staying with friends in Singapore and it is lovely to be staying here. There is a pool and we had alot fun of playing in it with the girls (Lisa and Jasmin).

We go into the city and take the explorer bus around, the centre is quite small so it is easy to see everything we want to. We visit little India which immediately hits all the senses and makes you feel like you have been transported to India. The sights, smells and sounds are all wonderful. The temples and mosques are all so ornate and beautiful. Chinatown is also great and the markets sell all kinds of great things.

We start to see things with Shentons name all over the place, like the bus we end up getting which is going to "Shenton Way" and a local surgery called the "Shenton family Surgery" there is also a Smith Street here.

Shenton really wanted to visit the Jurong Frog Farm so we spent one day basically going round and round on the subway trying to find this place, the problem was no one seemed to know where it was. We went to Jurong station but the taxi drivers had not even heard of the place! The reason he wanted to go was to let our Cambodian cycle guide know how to farm frogs as there isn't a farm in Cambodia and all Cambodian people love to eat frog. Shenton told Sokhoum that it was possible to farm them and apparently it is and very profitable, so Sokhoum thinks this is a great idea and now they need info, hence the trip looking for this farm. Frog farm Cambodia?? Well you never know.

We manage to get our Japan Rail Tickets in Singapore which is good as appaerntly this will save a lot of money as you can not buy them once you get to Japan and the rail tickets without this pass are really expensive.

Singapore has been great and time has really flown by here, thanks to Chris and Kai for looking after us and making us feel so at home and hopefully we will see you both in Spain soon.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Snack at little IndiaSnack at little India
Snack at little India

I didn't order food but when Shenton got the food I couldn't resist, and it was lovely


26th November 2016
Raining in little India

Cleartrip Coupons
Appreciate you sharing, nice article.Thank you for providing this info.I was looking at your content on this site and I believe this website is real instructive! Continue putting up.This is a fantastic story. vist - http://www.mytokri.com/cleartrip-coupons/

Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0605s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb