Singaporean mix


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore
January 28th 2010
Published: February 7th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Today, the plan is to see as much variety as possible. Starting at Raffles hotel, where rooms start at $375 and all staff are incredibly polite to guests (and visitors), then moving on to a river cruise on a so-called bumboat, my morning seems quite full. Some of the more spectacular sights are the very tall skyscrapers, the Meerlion statue, and the Esplanade Theatres.

Lunch is then in the Great Wall shopping centre. Singapore's mix of European and Chinese influences is so clear here with Chinese lanterns hanging above the Laura Ashley outlet. The food again is incredible, with lotus root in lemon as one of the best ever starters I've ever tried. My main course was noodles in a mild peanut source - a memorable mixture.

The main goal for the afternoon is the orchid garden via Orchard Road - the main shopping street. Singapore's posh shops are very impressive with all the top brands you'd find anywhere else on the planet. The designs, lighting, and even street art found in these large shopping centres are so futuristic, but it seems to me that the prices match the designs - these shops are not for the bargain hunters.
Raffles hotelRaffles hotelRaffles hotel

The long bar seen from the gazebo


Singapore has a superb botanical gardens which has free entrance and is open until midnight. Inside these gardens are a number of different themed areas, with the orchid garden being top of my list. I don't know how many different orchids there are here - but having a large memory card in your digital camera is a must. In addition, there are loads of other plants, trees and examples of unusual greenery all around, so for a cold north European, this place is just magnificent.

As evening draws in, I take one more look along the riverbank, and see the sculptures of Singaporians from the past from the land side. This is a sort of open air living museum, and underlines the cultural mix that you find here. I have had quite a full day - there are more than the usual numner of photos to upload, so sit back and enjoy the variety from here.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

The First GenerationThe First Generation
The First Generation

Sculpture along Singapore's river
Bum boatBum boat
Bum boat

quietly sailing past the Esplanade theatres
Singapore's Merlion Singapore's Merlion
Singapore's Merlion

The half fish, half lion has been adopted as a mascot by Singapore
Posh shopsPosh shops
Posh shops

along Orchard Road
Amazing leavesAmazing leaves
Amazing leaves

in the orchid garden
Carnivore plantsCarnivore plants
Carnivore plants

The bells catch insects before devouring them
Singapore's mixed societySingapore's mixed society
Singapore's mixed society

Sculpture of Mr Alexander Laurie Johnston with Chinese and Malaysian local merchants
The Cavenagh Bridge at night timeThe Cavenagh Bridge at night time
The Cavenagh Bridge at night time

The only suspension bridge and one of the oldest bridges in Singapore, spanning across the Singapore River.


Tot: 0.152s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 21; qc: 70; dbt: 0.0966s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb