So.... How About That Weather?


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore
March 31st 2009
Published: March 31st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Off, Off and Away....



Well... sort of. After a rocky start at Perth Airport due to a baggage handlers strike, not to mention their computers going down (amazing how much we rely on them isn't it??), we finally headed off on the first leg of our journey only a mere 3 hours late. Of course that meant that we didn't get through customs at Singapore until after 8pm and so ensued the mad panic to find accomodation!!!

The discovery of a free wireless at McDonalds in the airport provided our means and off we went on the MRT to find our first place of rest.

OH MY GOD. the directions on the net were found to be just a touch vague.... the people couldn't speak english in the shops to help and just waved wildly in the other direction..... we walked about 10km the wrong way in about 30 degree heat and 98%!h(MISSING)umidity..... in the dark..... with Amy having a strop!!!! In the end we played charades with a taxi driver and made it at about 11.30pm.

The "hostel" (and I use that term loosely) was a shoebox of a place on the 2nd and 3rd floor in a dubiously healthy area, with non-talkative people except when they went to bed and decided to stay up til 3am talking loudly in the room next door. Needless to say, we spent only the one night there and promptly booked new accomodation the next morning.

We are now staying at a lovely guesthouse called One Florence Close (which is surprise surprise the address) in the company of some much nicer people and 2 very fluffy cats called Romeo and Pepper.

Today we spent the day wandering around trying to get our bearings while visiting Chinatown, Clarke Quay, Little India and Harbour Front. We were offered suits and dresses, found a beautiful park in the middle of the city, had lunch at Hooters (yes it's the one you're thinking), and dinner in an authentic asian foodcourt. Pretty full on if I do say so myself!!!

Over the next few days we intend on doing the night safari at Singapore Zoo as well as the Singapore Flyer, Raffles Hotel (mmmm.... cocktails), and Sentosa Island. We will surely keep you posted.

As a final thought, yes.... I have learnt my lesson!! We are now booking accomodation in advance and Amy is all happy again.

What you've done becomes the judge of what you're going to do - especially in other people's minds. When you're traveling, you are what you are right there and then. People don't have your past to hold against you. No yesterdays on the road. ~William Least Heat Moon, Blue Highways


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

ShoeboxShoebox
Shoebox

This room was like a prison cell. And yes Mum and Mel... I know it needed tidying up.
LanternsLanterns
Lanterns

A shop front in Chinatown.
TempleTemple
Temple

The first of 2 temples we saw that were decorated like this.
So Cute!!!So Cute!!!
So Cute!!!

In a lake in the parkland there were all these baby turtles. This one decided to pose for us.
The Fluff BallThe Fluff Ball
The Fluff Ball

One of the cats at the Hostel.


1st April 2009

The Start of that Adventure
The backpackers looks pretty quaint :) though at 11.30pm may have looked a bit different. What's wrong with mauve? By the way behind which window where u squeezed, because I think the door onto the balcony might get used for nonpaying customers. Joking of course. Moving forward, it looks like you've seen some lovely places already and by the sounds of things ready to see lots more.
2nd April 2009

Mauve is so not my colour!!
Mum, wasn't behind any of those windows.... our room had no windows and backed onto the construction site. It wasn't what you would call a high class establishment!! Certainly an eye-opener though.
3rd April 2009

Not far behind
seven weeks and counting and we will be tracing your footsteps to singapore. Altough our accom should be somewhat better. We got mistry deals from Wotif.com end up with Furma river front and Grand copthorne. If you pass by let me know.

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0225s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb