Singapore - Stop # 7


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore
February 22nd 2009
Published: February 22nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Singapore - Stop #6

It's starting to look a little confusing!

Lion Dance at the ZooLion Dance at the ZooLion Dance at the Zoo

There are 2 people in each lion costume. They co-ordinate their movements to create some amazing gymnastic feats and a really cool dance. This was all part of the Lunar New Year's celebration.
Singapore was basically a social visit. We stayed with our friend, Kathy, who is an adjunct professor at Ngee Ann Polytechnical. We had a fun time meeting her friends, touring the campus, and exploring the city. Together, we rode the cable cars to Sentosa Island, visited the zoo and wild bird park, went jade shopping, and hung out at the old Raffles Hotel. Since our visit coincided with the Super Bowl, we were treated to a 6:00 a.m. Super Bowl Brunch with her faculty friends.

Another treat for us was meeting up with Isabel, one of our former Brazilian students. We visited the fine arts college where she is now teaching. She showed us another side of Singapore, Little India. Its old buildings, narrow streets, and Indian shops are so different from the modern and polished reality of Singapore. Mustafa's, the Indian version of Walmart, was a true adventure into the local Indian culture. In the food department there were 6 aisles of different curries and even more aisles of spices. The variety was incredible and the scent was heavenly. Anything you could possibly want and things you couldn't even imagine, could be found at Mustafa's.

As you can see from the few photos, I didn't do a lot of photography. I forgot the camera one day and really didn't do much with it on the other days. I think I needed a break and having time with friends was more important.

We had a great time in Kenya!! The safaris were excellent and very rewarding. Yesterday, we flew to Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. In a few hours we'll be taking a flight to the island of Zanzibar. All is going well, except for Internet access. It's very expensive, very slow, and not often available. I guess I'll be finishing the last entry blogs from home. Hope all is well with all our friends and family. We miss you and will see many of you soon.

Happy trails, RPM


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.495s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 36; qc: 148; dbt: 0.1539s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb