Singapore "Have faith will travel"


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore
September 23rd 2005
Published: November 8th 2005
Edit Blog Post

The MottoThe MottoThe Motto

Max's new travel motto!
22/9/05 - Uncle Robert is fun to have around at airport security checks, because he has metal pins in both his hips, he sets the alarm bells ringing every time.

Our flight from Sydney was as much fun as economy air travel can be. Lorenza was sitting next to Peter, a very friendly and talkative guy from the Riverina District of NSW. He is a wine producer; in his own words he produces “bulk wine, but not quality wine”. He kept us entertained with a brief life history, including having run as an independent candidate for the Riverina in a few state elections.

We arrived in Singapore at 9:40pm. We made it through immigration to the luggage carousel and Lorenza realized that good old Rob had left both our jackets on the plane! So, she rushed back to the customs desk, they took her passport hostage and she was led to the plane by a Security officer. With the jackets retrieved, she was then escorted back to customs and her passport was released - well done Rob!

The minute we walked outside the airport we were hit by the humidity, how can there be that much moisture in
Max & MottoMax & MottoMax & Motto

Max outside the travel with faith shop
the air without it raining? It was about 26 degrees but so sticky it was a shock.

Took the shuttle to our hotel and the porter, Mohammad Ali, led us to our rooms. He was very chatty once we slipped him a tip and told us all the sights we should see. He almost got Lorenza hook, line and sinker when he told her his Uncle was Mohammad Ali!

Uncle Robert put in a call to a local contact he has in Singapore, who had promised to meet up with us on our rest day. Our connection here in Singapore just happens to be a Jesuit Priest, Father Collin.

Lorenza and I took a walk around, while Uncle Robert hit the sack. Even at 1am the humidity was still very oppressive. We soon retreated to our air conditioned room, having left Sydney at the end of our winter these conditions were a bit of a shock when added to our fatigue.

23/9/05 - Following a great breakfast, where the service was very, very impressive, we got a call from Father Collin and organized for him to collect us from our hotel. We had time for a
PeterPeterPeter

The very talkative & entertaining, Peter from the Riverina
walk around and then a few beers. On our walk we came across the shop front of the “Ghost Buster”, who deals in exorcisms, and helping you rid your home of unwanted spirits. Above this store was a marriage agency that guaranteed “success or your money back”. Around the corner we came across a travel agent with the motto “have faith, will travel”. This seemed a very fitting motto for Uncle Robert to adopt!

It was very hot and steamy, so we returned to the hotel and we had a few beers at the poolside bar. We had a quick conversation with an Australian couple from Coffs Harbour and it was then time to meet with Father Collin. He collected us from the hotel, together with two if his parishioners, Jennifer and Michelle.

They took us on a whirlwind tour of Singapore, then onto lunch at a club. The club was an old English place and prior to Singapore’s independence was exclusively British. It was a very posh and very British affair.

Part of our tour included the main water reservoir for Singapore, which is lined with tropical type bush, and is populated by monkeys and squirrels.
Happy MarriageHappy MarriageHappy Marriage

Success guaranteed or your money back
Lorenza was delighted at her first sighting of a squirrel.

Jennifer has a very excitable personality and added very much to the fun of our tour. At the Holland Village Shopping Centre, she seemed to know every shop owner. Michelle had a much more conservative nature, so Michelle and Jennifer together seemed to create a balance. They were both very friendly and generous with their time.

Father Collin took us on a brief tour of the Jesuit Seminary and then we attended Mass at his church (Rob was amazed the roof did not collapse as he walked in the door). This was a small sacrifice to make after Father Collin had ensured we had a good day In Singapore.

Following Mass, another parishioner, Wendy, joined our group and we had dinner at the Singapore Golf Club. The club had a wonderful view over the course and then further on to the reservoir we had visited earlier.

Wendy then took us back to our hotel, where we collected our bags and took the shuttle back to the airport.

So, that was Singapore for us! Our overall impressions - humid, clean, friendly and very accommodating people.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Ghost BusterGhost Buster
Ghost Buster

Businessman turned Ghost Buster read the newspaper clip in the window
The Singapore Tour Co.The Singapore Tour Co.
The Singapore Tour Co.

Max, Jennifer, Michelle, Father Collin & Lorenza.
Golf Club DinnerGolf Club Dinner
Golf Club Dinner

Wendy, Max & Father Collin at the Golf Club


Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0476s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb