the last blog


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore » Toa Payoh
August 2nd 2008
Published: August 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

thought this would be my last blog, as im flying home tonight. ive enjoyed writing them but dont think i can get away with keeping on going once i get home!

um ive had an enjoyable week of chilling out in singapore. its been a really nice way to end the trip, in style.
it was good to visit the 'Geyleng' area - seeing old, cute, chinese guys playing Mahjong on the sidewalk and the women shopping for durian.

i visited Changi museum and was actually affected by what i saw. it was so much more real seeing it at the actual site, but the photos of starving POW and the conditions they lived in, and also the way in which they faced the adversity of the Japanese's torture - building a makeshift university, drawings etc. there was a really eerie feeling in the church, and the letters from family members added to it.

we went to sentosa island after that, which was very different. its like pleasant-ville; a really expensive housing estate on the docks and a tourist, plastic fantastic theme park. we found a huge party on an artificial beach which was cool but bizarre. volley ball games and $10 beers reminded me of kuta.

we've been eating a fair bit at hawker centres - lots of food stalls under housing commission buildings. the food is great and cheap. the other night we ate 4k of crab! yuum. any weight i lost in indo is piling back on.
i went to yoga with sal the other day, and visited caitlin's Aus/International School.

shopping! we went to orchard rd - and in my backpackers clothes i didnt really feel welcome. gucci, versache etc were all there and just as expensive as anywhere else. that night we went to Clark Quay and got on a bumboat around the harbour. saw all the pretty lights of the city and the ever so weird "merlion" statue. (half lion, half merman..) apparently it was designed in the 80s as singapore's emblem as a marketing ploy.. i dont think it worked..

i went to the Ancient Asian Civilizations museum which is huuugee, and fort canning - a hill and bunker station which was pivotal in the fall of singapore. also saw Raffles Hotel and again went to Mustafas and bought HEAPS for under $80Aus. so yah very happy with that.

i should go and start packing.
will see all of you very soon and thanks for being my groupies 😊



Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0476s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb