Day 1


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore » Singapore Harbour
September 14th 2011
Published: September 14th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Singapore is hot and humid apparently the temperature ranges from a minimum of 22C (which is not often reached) to around 34C the humidity is the killer - it saps you.

I undertook two hop on hop bus tours (without the hopping on or off) to get a sense of the place. I would dearly have loved to see the Botanic gardens but there was not enough time.

There is some amazing modern architecture combined with some beautiful colonial buildings which the government makes an effort to maintain. In the older part of town like Little India and China town the buildings have decaying wooden shutters on the windows. I was quite taken with these

It is so lush and green plants seem to grow in every available space. Our hotel lobby is full of orchids so profuse you think they are artificial until you get up close.

On the first evening we visited the Marina Bay Sands hotel, shopping and casino complex. It was completed in June 2010 at a cost of $8 billion - it is recouped this in the first year. Entry to the casino is free for foreigners but costs $100 (per entry) for locals in a bid to combat problem gambling.

I visited the science museum to see an exhibition called Van Gogh alive. The gallery is a large room with high white wall and many angles to the walls. The room is darkened and on the walls are projected Van Goghs paintings magnified so they fill the whole wall. The images are constantly changing and form a collage in the room, it is set to very soothing music. It really was beautiful I could have sat in there just absorbing his vibrant colour palette for hours.

On the top floor of the hotel complex it an observatory jutting out from one end of the roof of the hotel. There is also an horizon pool on the roof with views over the city (only accessible by hotel guests).

The two days we were there I was unable to find any food I liked - I think the Singaporeans like their noodles quite wet but I prefer the dry fried noodles with vegetables. It is probably our fault for not going to a street market but rather eating at a hotel.

We made the obligatory visit to the Raffles hotel and had cocktails in the courtyard bar (no Singapore Sling) The Long Bar was a bit of a disappointment and has been moved since Lori was there - in fact I think it had been moved a few times.

The city has endless shopping centres all seeming to merge into one. Although I bought some comfy shoes I wasn't gripped with what was on offer.

We went to the airport early to take advantage of the lounge - Bryony sweet talked her way in so we had a restful time until the plane left.



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0439s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb