The Sands of time


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore » Raffles Marina
May 11th 2013
Published: May 18th 2013
Edit Blog Post

After a restful Saturday morning at Farrah's grandmother's, and a delicious lunch we went with Farrah into town to be tourists. I'd seen 2 tall buildings connected across the top by a big ship, decided it was pretty cool, and asked if we could go there, so we did. To get into the building, you have to cross a bridge supposed to look like DNA. I don't know what the reason behind using DNA as a design, as far as I know Watson and Crick don't have a connection to Singapore and besides, collagen's triple helical structure is much cooler.

Rather predictably, we had to pass through a shopping mall to get to the ship bit at the top, which as it turns out, is the Sands Casino. It's owned by the same people who own its' famous counterpart in Las Vegas who are definitely not the mafia. Situated on the 57th floor, this view is certainly not for the vertiginous amongst us. Quite why I insisted on taking myself and Amelia up there is beyond me slightly. Nevertheless the view was breathtaking, encompassing beautiful (fake) gardens, hugs skyscrapers and parts of the Singapore F1 Grands Prix circuit (for the uneducated, this is a race where some streets of singapore are closed to the public and the cars race around the streets). There is also an infinity pool on the edge of the building, which despite not even being in it scared the life out of me.

We didn't linger for a drink in the bar, as the prices were sky high...Instead we went for a quiet drink by the river, where it was happy hour, for 5 hours. The girls had Singapore Slings, whilst I had a manly beer or two. Splendid.

The next day it was a horribly early morning to catch our bus to Malaysia. Farewell Singapore, you'll be a tough act to follow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0611s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb