Orchard Road- Singapore


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore » Orchard Road
April 29th 2012
Published: May 9th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Think of Tokyo, Hong Kong and Shanghai fused together. A street chalk full of plazas, department stores, high end malls, Japanese department stores and high end designer stores. Tourists, big spenders and those who just want to look cool. Welcome to Orchard Road.

Starting from Cavenaugh road (beside the LeMeridien/ Singapore shopping centre there are no less then 20 major shopping malls on Orchard road up to Paterson road. This also spans two subway stations Somerset and Orchard Road. Wide sidewalks give ample room for the droves of locals and tourists that visit and shop in this area. A mix of modern malls, gleaming designer shops like Louis Vuitton, Channel and structured Japanese stores characterize the area. The stretch of road is not long, but in true Asian fashion, it is jam packed with tons of stores that give any shopper a diverse, robust shopping experience. The walk is also fun as there are many funky sculptures and art pieces on the sidewalk to admire.

If you take the subway to Orchard Road station you can exit into the Wisma Atria mall from the subway. The mall has about 6 stories (I think) with all types of main stream shops and boutiques. One of the best features of this mall is the food hall. There are a number of food choices available to satisfy any pallet. The food hall has lovely seating areas complete with chandeliers through out the food hall. Now that’s classy.

If you prefer Japanese, you should visit the Takashimaya department store. Set up like a typical Japanese department store you can find all types of products from Japan here. The basement in typical Japanese fashion has a full grocery store with fresh and packaged produce. There are a number of food shops selling a variety of Japanese food from Sushi, to grilled fish to octopus balls.

We ended up staying at Orchard Road this time instead of Marnia Bay. Both areas are great, and Orchard road is an older part of the city dedicated to both shopping and dining. There are many outdoor and indoor restaurants in this area to choose from. It’s a great areas to stay in and very close to the subways.

http://www.wismaonline.com/

http://www.takashimaya-sin.com/

http://www.orchardroad.org/


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0259s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb