Tacky Tourist Day!


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore » Little India
November 24th 2007
Published: December 2nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Well after the delights of our TV day, we realised that today was the last day that we had to fit in all the stuff we originally wanted to do.
First stop was the Sultan Mosque on Arab Street, a really beautiful building from the outside but very simple inside - but I suppose that's the monks life!
Then onto Little India, but on the way we discovered 2 more mosque's by accident.
We didn't go into these though as we found out it was a holy day and they were full of people offering flowers as sacrafices and praying with incense sticks - quite interesting and really nice smelling!
We walked to little India and I was suprised at how colourful it was - definatley my favourite part of the island! We went to a Hawker centre recommended by the TV crew and had Chicken Curry and Chicken Byriani - VERY VERY HOT! Jacqui - you would love it!
We also had the local Indian Drink - Teh Talik - like coffee but very sweet and so delicious!
After that was the chinese gardens, we went up the 7 storey temple then a walk around the Bonzai Gardens - really suprised at how tranquil it was!
After a short MRT ride we hunted out the Sir Raffles Landing site and was quite suprised to find just a very small statue marking the point - we thought it would be more than that!
After a shower and change back at the hostel we then go to the famour Singapore Night Zoo - was really good as the animals all seemed to be in natural habitats rather than cages and got to see how they behaved at night! After a fabulous animal show (which included a barn owl brother, but not like our Storm!) we then headed back to the station and just made the last train by 10 seconds which only took us three quaters of the way home!
We got a taxi from the last station to the famous Raffles hotel and had the obilgatory Singapore Sling. Very nice but it should be at 47 dollars for 2 drinks! The most unique thing was that they had monkey nuts on the tables in the bar and people were expected to just throw the shells on the floor - it made a very crunchy carpet! I thought it was a tradition but when I asked where this came from I was told (quite matter of factly!) by the waitress it was just a concept they had created!
By this time is was 1am, so we made it back to the hotel to pack in preparation for our Journey to Perth tomorrow - we are both so excited we can hardly sleep!
Goodbye Singapore - G'day Australia Mate!


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.063s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb