Heathrow we have Lift Off


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore » Geylang
November 15th 2012
Published: November 15th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We both new that the toughest part of this trip was going to be saying goodbye to our family's. As we write this Shannon airport facilities are still mopping up the tears. Arrived into Heathrow without any glitches and for once we didn't have to go through the painful annoyance of "de da di da dee, Ryanair the best on time record" Thank you Aer Lingus.
We were both like little kids looking forward to seeing the Airbus 380 that Robbie Hennessy has been going on about for the last few weeks. Jane was so excited that she trotted off into the gate without giving me my boarding card. It's either excitement or she is sick of me already. But we have to say the Airbus 380 with Singapore airlines is some machine. The pics don't give it justice ( and Rob if they can get this yolk off the ground surely you can get your own model up in the air 😉 )
As we stepped onto the plane Jane's words were " oh my god this is unbelievable" to my response I advised " this is business class love, keeping moving down the back". She was disappointed but still quite impressed with the setup. Free drink, free food, a pillow, blanket, plane socks and headphones - sure doesn't the Irish always love something for free.
We knocked back a few Singapore Sling cocktails, a concoction of dry gin, Dom Benedictine, Cointreau and cherry brandy, shaken up with lime and pineapple juices and a dash of Angostura bitters and Grenadine..... In other words a major taste of MORE off of them.
Arrived into Singapore with the pissin rain, the only difference with this weather is that people walk around in shorts. We were able to smuggle in some cigarettes for Jane, Singapore customs are quite strict on bringing duty free cigs into the country.
We tried our luck on the local MRT, I managed to hit a small Indian guy in the head ( by accident of course). Made are way to the central shopping mall (Marina Square) which is a girls paradise, the place is absolutely huge. On the way back to the hotel we walked right into the red light district ( these places tend to find me). Managed to get a pic of one girl or ladyboy, I'll let you decide. In a typical 7/11 you would expect to find chocolate, chewing gum or crisps at the impulse counter, not in this place, it's every size, flavour and textured condom you can think of 'CLASSY PLACE' but we were not bothered as we only had 2 nights in the place.
2nd day in Singapore and we are getting better with the MRT. Took a trip downtown to the Marina bay. Walked through the gardens and business district. The Marina Sands hotel with its 3 towers is quite amazing to see. Today though I'm sweating like a fat guy in a sweet shop. The humidity takes some getting used to. We also noticed the large volume of homosexual Indian guys with moustaches. It seems to be a common thing in Singapore and if they are not gay than they are having a cheeky look at Jane's chest. We headed uptown to 'Little India'. This place might as well be located in India itself as its mostly Indian people there. We also saw a quetionable named pawnshop.

Overall singapore is definitely worth a visit but can be very expensive and was a bit over populated for my liking. Next stop is Malacca but unfortunately it involves a 5hr bus trip.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



15th November 2012

Ladyboys and all that stuff
Hi Guys Great blog... I have to say your worrying me with how quick you managed to find the Redlight district there. (Wait until you see Sydney's) The jury is out on that pic of the Lady/ Lady Boy.... I would say a good sign is if HE/SHE says 'I'm a lady you know'. Check above the lip, It is Movember!!! I'd say the A380 was an experience... nice for you to get a flight Kieran where everything is free... Keep sending the pics. Looks great. All is good here, weather crap but whats new. Take care. S.

Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0489s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb