SINGAPORE


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore » Geylang
October 27th 2009
Published: November 19th 2009
Edit Blog Post

When it was time to leave Vietnam, we were a little sad to be leaving. The people had been so kind to us, and we'd been ballroom dancing with a local lady, as well as to a birthday party with the family we were staying with. We were quit excited though about what would be round the next corner, and Singapore was completely different to anywhere we'd been! When we first arrived, we felt as though we'd been transported years into the future There were signs everywhere telling people what to do and what not to do. It was like the film, “Demolition Man”.

On our first night we went o a few galleries and took a ride on the Singapore Flyer, which is the tallest observation wheel in the world and gave us amazing views of the city. The following day we took a trip to Chinatown and Little India, which were very sanitised versions of ethnic areas! We also went to the zoo, which was unbelievably good! The majority of the animals are really close to you without bars, which seems to be set out really cleverly with concealed moats so you feel really close. The orangutans swing freely over tree top walkways that you walk over. They were all around us and so close! At the polar bear encloser, we could see into the water, and at feeding time we were literally face to face with the huge white bear while he was chasing a fish with only a piece of glass between us. We also went on a night safari, which was a pretty good opportunity to see what the animals do at night. It was pretty amazing to see the tigers roaming about, because normally in zoos they sleep all day.

On our final day in Singapore we went to a few more galleries, and in the evening went to see a 3D Coraline film, which was really cool. Singapore was quite a lot more expensive than all of the other places that we have visited, but we made it as cheap as possible by always eating at hawker centres, not drinking, staying in a hostel, and asking for student discount everywhere!


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0584s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb