Singapore - Day 2


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore » Chinatown
March 28th 2014
Published: March 28th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Our day began with a beautiful run in the Singapore Botanical Gardens. These gardens are what the entire island of Singapore was once made up of. They are one of the only few areas that are protected by the provisions of the World Heritage Site recognition within Singapore. The locals not only use these gardens to get their daily exercise and walk their dogs😊 but they are considered to be healing and tranquil. We found them to be both. (Sorry, no photos as we could not run with our camera. I also wish that we could have "scratch and sniff" on this blog to share with you the aromas that are prevalent throughout this area.)

Our next outing this morning involved a trip to an older part of the city to purchase our bus tickets to head to Kuala Lumpur on Saturday. Along the way, we encountered the historic Raffles Hotel. A lot of history surrounds this hotel but it is mostly known for where the Singapore Sling was invented.

After purchasing our bus tickets, we decided to grab some lunch. We stumbled upon a local food court. One of the signature dishes in Singapore is Chicken Rice. Although the name does not sound that exciting, it is a staple in traditional Singaporean cuisine and is delicious.

I was personally on a quest to find the best lime and sugarcane juice. They freshly squeeze limes and have a special press for the sugarcane. It is incredibly refreshing when it is 30 degrees outside!

We made our way back the the hotel and went for a swim. One hour in Singapore sun equals two red Canadians!😊

This evening was a really great night. Kevin managed to re-connect with one of his flight students Senthil from Singapore. He is a Singapore Airlines captain. He gave us a personal walking tour of Old Chinatown. He gave us a real appreciation for how Singapore has evolved into the business metropolis that it is today and how the original settlements are striving to maintain their place in this new culture.

His wife Tui, originally from Thailand, joined us for a traditional Singaporean meal of chilli crab.

Tui is a Thai chef by trade, so we had much to talk about over dinner. There is something be said about the warm hospitality when you feel an instant connection between new and
chicken Ricechicken Ricechicken Rice

A nice light traditional dinner, about $ 1.30 Canadian!
old friends.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Vegetarian cakeVegetarian cake
Vegetarian cake

Baby not included in purchase.


28th March 2014

Oh Chas! How wonderful for you to be enjoying a special vacation!! It looks like you are having a great time, stay safe and keep the pics coming!!!
29th March 2014

!!!!
What a great write-up! I'm getting a sense of the tour as well. I wish there was a "scratch n sniff" for traveling too!!! xx
29th March 2014

Hey you two! Happy to see you got there safely! Pics are great! How long are you around or in Kuala Lumpur for?
29th March 2014

Hey Carmen!
We are in KL for just a few days before we head to Vietnam. It's old stomping grounds for Kevin:)

Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0409s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb