Perth to Singapore leg


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore » Chinatown
October 22nd 2013
Published: October 22nd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Early start this morning at 05.30H and out to the airport to catch the Singapore flight. All was very easy and relaxed. Had a rather average airline meal on the Quantas flight but it passed the time. Did a couple of holding circuits before landing at Changi and then caught a taxi to our hotel. The city has changed a lot in the five years since our last visit - especially with the completion of the Bay Sands complex and associated gardens.

Wangz Hotel is a circular building of 5 floors on Ousram Road some 10-15 minutes walk from Chinatown. It is a 'boutique' hotel and is very comfortable yet modern and stylish. I think that we are goingto enjoy our time here.

After checking in and unpacking, we headed off to Chiatown where we found the night market in full swing. It's colourful and full of things which simply cannot be bought in the UK. After a 45 walk around the many streets of hawker stalls we stopped at a restaurant serving a range of Chinese-looking food. The meal was excellent and washed down with two large and cool bottles of Tiger beer. it never tastes the same back home but quenches the thirst like cool nectar here in Singapore. The level of attention that we got from the lady owner of the restaurant was amazing and humbling. Nothing was too much trouble. However she only spoke three words of English (hello, thank you and OK). Somehow she was able to look after us excellently with smiles, gestures and lots of wonderful food. It turned out that she was Korean. Hazel has a seafood pancake and I had battered chicken pieces in a hot(ish) sauce. We both had noodles. Overall an excellent meal.

After another hour or so of walking around the market we walked home back to our lovely, cool, air-conditioned hotel. Being tired, we plan an early night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0606s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb