National Museum, Raffles and Marina Bay


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore » Chinatown
February 26th 2013
Published: March 5th 2013
Edit Blog Post

MRT to City Hall in the Colonial Quarter and walked to the National Museum of Singapore along Stamford Road, edged with high rises. Hot and humid, and shade or breeze is welcom but not a patch on air con!

Museum is an impressive colonial, white building surrounded by lush lawns and rich green flower beds. A very reasonable entrance fee of $10.

Unfortunately the main part of the museum is an audio led tour and none of the exhibits therein have written info. Couldn't sync with the exhibits, probably pilot error! Disappointing, not helped by a modicum of patience, attempted to explore the rest of the museum but it was large, vacuose and disjointed. Gave up.

Raffles Hotel, fantastic. Walked about soaking up the grandeur - Mad Dog the English man in the midday sun! Marbled walkways, lush gardens, fountains, shops, decadence..........everything. Sat in the Court Yard Bar and yessssssssss supped on a Singapore Sling..........happy days. Staff here were surprisingly attentive considering it was blatantly obvious that I'm not a guest and will probably never afford to be one. Hats off to Raffles!

Walked down to the Marina Centre, yet another shopping mall but ever greatful of the air con. Tried a curry in the food court, didn't recognise the bones that were supposedly chicken but tasted good. However I was to regret this later, nough said.

Explored the Esplinade area on the bay crossing the river and seeing the sights of Marina Bay. Now realise what the huge cruise ship floating in the sky is. (Found it Marcus) The Marina Bay Sands Hotel with a 3 acre Skypark and infinity pool on the 57th floor!!!! Google it, flippin amazing. Kind of knock socks off my hotel pool on the 4th floor. Oh well, champagne tastes and beer money, that's the way I roll!.

One of the attractions here is the Merlion, a mythical creature with the head of a lion and the body of a fish. It's name combining "Mer" - sea from Singapores origins as a fishing village when it was originally called Temasek, from Javanese. Then Lion because a Malay prince in the 11th centuary saw a lion on the shore when he landed, hence Singapura a Skanskrit word.

Returned to base in order to cool down, chill out and sup a Tiger by the pool. Reading my book contemplating a sim when the weather turns. Fortunately I'm outside but sheltered, a tropical down pour with thunder and lightning which lasts a good hour. Suddenly I feel acclimatised and its too cold to go for a swim! Also you're advised not to swim when there's lightning.......oh well dipped my foot in.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0504s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb