Mamma Mia! Singapore!


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore » Changi
December 7th 2014
Published: December 7th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Mamma Mia! Singapore!



Saturday…Off the ship and into a cab (actually a beautifully leather encased “tricked out” van ;-) headed to Changi Airport in Singapore. The airport here in Singapore is a destination resort, not just an airport! We checked in to the Crown Plaza, and found ourselves in fabulous, very airy, lots of windows spacious room, overlooking the rainy runways. According to our driver, the monsoon season is in full swing.



After getting settled, we wandered over out of the Crown Plaza, which is in terminal three, to look for some lunch and see of the facilities at the airport. What a gorgeous, lofty space with all kinds of light, no sound at all of aircraft. We found a food court on B-2 and had Singaporean special, chicken rice, for lunch. On this level, there are all kinds of places to eat, and fully stocked grocery store, and many shops. The shoppers are not just travelers, but everyday families shopping with kids and grand parents. As one person described Changi Airport…it is shopping malls that happen to have runways in between-sounds pretty accurate to me!



Sunday…the last day of this amazing 78 day adventure! We can’t believe it’s over and tomorrow we head back to Phoenix. Incredible. As an End of the Trip Treat… we bought ourselves front row tickets to see the International Touring Company of Mamma Mia at the MasterCard Grand Theatre at Marina Bay Sands. THE best production we have seen (and we’ve seen quit a few). The cast was wonderful and of course the story is fun especially when you couple it with all of the great ABBA music.



The Marina Bay Sands Shoppes were decked out for Christmas, Christmas Carols playing everywhere and people everywhere shopping. A great place to be…we are sorry in many ways to be leaving this part of the world, but… we have seen so much, learned so much, talked to and met so many people.



We have made new friends, learned a bit of Chinese, Japanese and Korean ;-)



We’ve eaten amazing traditional dishes in every country and are experts with chop sticks!



We gave learned how to convert and spend money from dollars to Yen to Won, to Yuan. From Hong Kong dollars to Dong to Baht to Ringgits and finally Singapore dollars.



We have changed our watches 13 times back and forth and crossed the International Date Line.



We have traveled by foot, cars, taxis, limos, buses, bullet trains, ferry, cruise ships, airplanes, sampan tourist boats, double decker buses, riverboats, maglev trains, subways, escalators, moving sidewalks, elevators, levolators, cable cars, trishaws, monorails, trams and turbojets.



We are constantly amazed at the world and awed by everything we see, touch, smell and hear. The honking drivers of our Trishaws, the “#1 drivers” of our busses, the incredibly kind and wonderful people that helped us all along the way, the various cultures. The smiling school children, the shopkeepers who were patient with our sign language, and our own increased skills at “dodging traffic” ;-) have made this trip incredible.



Tomorrow night after traveling 26 hours we will be back in our own bed…incredible!



Good Bye Asia!

Advertisement



7th December 2014

Welcome Home
I'm so sad to have your wonderful stories end ... but welcome home. Glad you're back before that super typhoon goes wherever it goes after Manila.
7th December 2014

What a great trip you had!
Quite a whirlwind! Safe travels back home!
3rd January 2015

:-)
Thanks so much for sharing!!! All of us at The UPS Store are enjoying traveling vicariously through you! Looking forward to the next entry.

Tot: 0.396s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 49; dbt: 0.2074s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb