Day 37 - The adventure comes to a final end :-{ (Wednesday 16 January)


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore » Changi
January 16th 2013
Published: January 16th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Blind Man DrivingBlind Man DrivingBlind Man Driving

fortunately not the norm in Australia
Surprisingly we have come through this vacation without even the need of a plaster. But never talk too soon. We were just putting our bags into the taxi and I went to put my handbag (which almost weighs as much as my roll-on) on my shoulder at the same time as Don bent down. The result: near concussion. He survived with head intact and without bruising. A good job too as he got a little wind burn on his head on Monday.

We were driving down the motorway behind a van with the words "Blind Man Driving" (see photo). The three of us found it quite amusing.

We were at the airport very early and after we got to the lounge I took some time to reflect on our time in Australia and New Zealand:

1. The people are just so friendly and helpful.

2. The landscapes are amazing and so varied. There is the rugged, green, volcanic and volatile temperament of New Zealand. Compare this to the relatively flat sandstone of Australia whose colours change with the different angle of the sun and whose sea can be wild and boisterous.

3. In both countries the wildlife is varied and protected and man is learning to respect his surroundings.

4. In both countries people take pride in their towns and villages and on the whole the towns are clean and litter free.

5. Australia is incredibly expensive. Even the duty-free shop had booze at double the price we paid on the ship and we expected the ship to be expensive.

The flight home was long and boring but the stewards on Singapore Airlines were so lovely and incredibly attentive. I think that we must have flown close to the cyclone as the first leg from Sydney to Singapore was somewhat bumpy.

We must begin imagining our next great adventure together, whenever and wherever in the world that might be. Meanwhile if a reason arises to revisit Australia or New Zealand, we'll look forward to the return. And thanks to everyone who helped make this holiday such a success.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0794s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb