Singapore/Civilisation!


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore » Bugis Village
December 24th 2007
Published: January 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

After a long flight and some jet lag, arrived in Singapore and despite being completely knackered, the excitement and hyperactivity kicked in and as soon as I'd checked my luggage into my hostel was out again exploring.

Despite hearing that Singapore is boring, clinical, too clean, I love it here! Not sure if its the contrast from going from Africa to here but everything is soooooooo easy and civilised plus after walking around for a few hours still in African attire (ie covered up) i had my first halleleuija moment - I could go back home and change into some little shorts and vest top...such a good feeling to not have to wander around in heat covered from head to toe 😊

Its brilliant here, so much christmassey stuff - trees and decorations...some would call it tacky, i call it a dream come true! After being in Africa for over 3 months i've been starved of all xmas celebrations...not so much as a xmas tree so coming here is AMAZING...and i do love christmas!
Check out all the lights, its better than England!








Sorry....just realised i'm on another continent with so much culture and amazing views and i'm going on about the xmas lights 😊.

On the other side, Singapore is a backpackers nightmare- there are so many shops here, plus the fact that its christmas reinforces the "need" to buy sh!t feeling- but being a backpacker i firstly have no room in my bag and secondly i'm supposed to be living on a budget! I love all the shops but its hell trying to restrain myself! I cannot explain how many shopping centres and markets there are here, literally that makes up the bulk of Singapore (that and places to eat...seriously, it is heaven! who needs culture when there are shops and food). I was living in Bugis, where the largest street market in Singapore was and this was only seconds from about a million other shopping centres including Orchard Rd...Oxford Street has nothing on Orchard Road!



Aside from all the shops, food and xmas lights Singapore reminded me of home a little bit...Again, not sure if its because i've been used to just seeing huts for the last 3 months or if it really did resemble London a little bit but the sky line was pretty cool with London Eye esque wheel, St Pauls esque cathedral, Boat and Clarke quay with loads of expensive bars and restaurants on the bank- frequented just a few of them with the girls- (just like the Thames) etc (ok look at the photos- maybe i really have been in Africa for too long but i could see the resemblance!).... and a MerLion which they had all over the place for some reason...

They also have the most ridiculous place on earth- Sentosa...I really don't get the reason for it, its plastic fantastic and not sure why anyone would go there when there are beautiful beaches in Malaysia just a few hours away...Basically, its a fake island, with fake sand and fake palm trees - GENIOUS! Had a laugh there with the girls, posing basically and generally being ridiculous to fit in with the theme of the island but its not exactly paradise.

Aside from the shopping, xmas lights, and boozing (all of which is very expensive btw in Singapore- not the best place for a backpacker!)....Singapore is a mixture of lots of different styles and culture from Little India close to where I was staying, through the colonial district with parliament, the presidents place, cathedrals and China town...just a few more photos taken from walking around and on one of the obligatory bum boat rides...
All in all had a good few days in Singapore but needed to move onto Thailand for xmas and new years eve partying...




Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Bugis Street MarketBugis Street Market
Bugis Street Market

The largest in Singapore
Clarke Quay by boatClarke Quay by boat
Clarke Quay by boat

the obligatory tourist trip
Istana ParkIstana Park
Istana Park

Opposite the presidents house in the middle of the city
mini Thames againmini Thames again
mini Thames again

London Eye vague resemblance far right corner???


Tot: 0.135s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0851s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb