The rally


Advertisement
Philippines' flag
Asia » Philippines
July 25th 2005
Published: July 25th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Okay, so I had a really interesting day today. The president's state of the union address was earlier today and a bunch of rallies were going on all over the city. Work was cancelled for all government workers (of which the DSWD is a part, so that meant we didn't go to work either), mostly because all of the main thoroughfares were blocked off by people and parked jeepneys and other vehicles. Luckily, there happened to be a rally just outside our neighbourhood on Commonwealth Avenue, so we went to check it out. Very, very interesting! The Filipinos definitely aren't as apathetic as Canadians! GMA (Gloria Macapagal Arroyo) has been involved in a scandal where supposedly she managed to rig the last election so that she would be declared the winner, and alot of people want to remove her from power. So the rally near us was to call for GMA to resign. It was very exciting to see the power of the people, not that Gloria has resigned yet or anything. But there'll be alot of pressure for her to do so now! Don't worry mom, it wasn't violent. It definitely had more of a lighthearted atmosphere than I thought it would have. People were hanging out, eating, and listening to speeches by various people that were broadcast over loudspeaker systems.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0476s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb