Ilocos - Marcos Country!


Advertisement
Philippines' flag
Asia » Philippines » Vigan
December 18th 2007
Published: December 23rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

We'd heard (read) good things about Ilocos from the various guide books, and Apple knew that investment over the years in the area was high cos of the Marcos connections in the area.
Heading North the area was more serene that most of the Philippines. We stoppped off at Santa Maria on the way to look at a world heritage listed baroque church designed in the classic earthquake proof style. The church was fantastic, and in most cases - no other tourists. We chatted to some local ladies who confirmed what we knew - that they still love Marcos up here!
Then onto Vigan - this place really impressed me - apparently it was spared destruction in WW2 as the japanese retreated just before the US bombers moved in.
The design of the city and the houses are unique (according to UNESCO) and the vibe of the place was really relaxed. We even did a tour on a Calesa!!! Only because they are still in use a passenger vehicles - not just for tourists.
One of the houses we looked at was the place where Tom Cruise stayed when Born on the 4th July was filmed. And where we ate was
Vigan CathedralVigan CathedralVigan Cathedral

I am cultured after all....
where the film was shot, so that was pretty crazy.
We also looked round the house of former president Quirino and toured the grounds (and zoo) of Chavit Singson - a big local politician - the place was something like off Scarface - a huge palacial residence, with Tigers, Lions and other strange creatures!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Bell ChurchBell Church
Bell Church

Survived so many earthquakes and typhoons - it was a little rickety...
ViganVigan
Vigan

Haute Couture....honest


17th June 2008

Home is where the heart is
Hi Matt - I just wanted to say, I love your pictures and reading about your experiences in Ilocos. My family is from the Bantay/Vigan area and it makes me really proud to hear that you enjoyed your time there. I think the Ilocos area should be toured more often by visitors, but it's usually over shadowed by commercial beach resorts in Boracay or Palawan.
30th June 2008

Ilocos
Yes we loved Ilocos! I'm glad you enjoyed the photos! There's much more to the Philippines than Boracay. The ambiance of Vigan was just great and it's been one of the highlights on our travels to the Philippines.

Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0411s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb