Gavin self-destructed here? (5)


Advertisement
Asia » Philippines » Vigan
July 22nd 2007
Published: August 21st 2007
Edit Blog Post

One aspect of Filipino transport that makes life difficult for travellers is the general lack of centralised bus stations. Having plenty of bus companies is a good thing, but not when they all depart from different places in the same town. Fortunately both the potential lines for our next destination shared a bus station, so we chugged along to it on a trike - LA Woman in the sidecar with my ruc... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 21


Advertisement




22nd August 2007

welcome!
hi, welcome to our beautiful country, Philippines. you can include sagada and ifugao in your itinerary ..try to visit exotic places too like palawan, siquijor and apo island in dumaguete. i enjoyed reading your blogs as it reflects what you truly experience and feel. enjoy your travels.
22nd August 2007

Western Tourists
Philippines being a remote island country in SE asia do not attract a lot of tourists from the West. It's more likely that Filipinos are surprised and curious to why 2 white souls are wandering in Vigan. They will also find L.A. women a very rare sight.
22nd August 2007

Way to slam GS!!
17th June 2008

It's really interesting to hear another American's take on their experiences in the Philippines. I'm Filipino American (born and raised in Los Angeles), and although I may blend in because of my skin tone, natives can tell I'm a foreigner. Obviously your experiences differ greatly from mine, but I really enjoyed reading your blog on Vigan.
17th June 2008

Re exploreilocos' comment
I'm English, not American.
15th April 2009

English, American, German, Australian ... etc ... they look the same to the Filipino eyes.hehe
3 Centuries of Spanish colonization ~ I used to believe that everyone in Philippines should then know how to speak Spanish. The reason why Filipinos speak more English than Spanish, is because during the American time, the Americans took time to teach the local people the English Language. While during the Spanish time, only the rich, well-off and Spaniards born in the Philippines are given the opportunity to better Education and to learn the Spanish language. The native Filipino people were called "Indios" - belonging to the “primitive” and “inferior races” and as fit only to be enslaved or subjugated.

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0499s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb