Finally, The Philippines


Advertisement
Asia » Philippines » Surigao » Siargao
August 6th 2008
Published: August 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Ok so here's how it is. I've been seriously lax in updating my blog for a few reasons, the major one being lack of decent internet access. Other reasons involve the kind of lifestyle Ive been leading here, its pretty laidback and by that I mean lazy. Sorry to anyone who was previously glued to my regular entries (which Im sure are of limited numbers!). Im afraid I wont be able to go into too mu... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 21


Advertisement




6th August 2008

Oh my!
What an adventure you are having!! It all sounds very amazing Lizzy...even the near death (potentially) and the theft is all part of it isn't it? Are you going to get another camera? What will you do?!
6th August 2008

Glad to hear from you.....
....... been checking for updates every couple of days! Scarey gunfire - but glad you got through the ordeal OK! Photos are great but big shame bout your camera. So happy to hear you are OK and look forward to the next installment xxx
7th August 2008

Glad you are lovin' it - but not liking the sound of REBELS
Gunshots near my girl? Bloody hell Lizzie! I hope there has not been any more of that, how unstable is that place and is it likely to kick off again? I will be looking into that as well. Lovely to hear from you it's been AGES - I would usually take that to be no news is good news, now I'm not so sure. Will be looking for your next. Have you seen updated pic of Max on facebook? He's bloody lovely, but he is going to be huge! Love you. X
7th August 2008

News clip from net
"Cops, troops seal off Siargao Island to trap NPA rebels By Chris V. Panganiban, Frinston Lim Mindanao Bureau First Posted 13:36:00 06/30/2008 SAN FRANCISCO, Agusan del Sur – (UPDATE) Police and military forces have sealed off a small island in Siargao in Surigao del Norte following reports that communist rebels who attacked two police stations on Saturday night have been stranded there, officials said. Senior Superintendent Nestor Fajura, operations chief of the regional police based in Butuan City, said the New People's Army rebels' two motorized boats suffered engine trouble. Fajura said the "stranded" rebels failed to join their comrades in their escape, and instead docked on Lapinigan Island. But Fajura said the rebels might have merged with the civilians residing on the island. A team of divers have been scouring the seawaters to recover several firearms dropped by the rebels near the shore. Two Huey helicopters equipped with machine guns have also been hovering over the island to ensure that there would be no escape route for the rebels. On Saturday night, at least 60 NPA rebels simultaneously attacked the adjacent Siargao island towns of General Luna and Dapa and carted away several firearms. The rebels also ransacked government offices such as the fire station, the local water district, Social Security System, Philhealth, the local court and the Public Attorney's Office. Troops from the Regional Mobile Group and the 30th Infantry Battalion based in Placer town conducted pursuit operations, leaving nine rebels dead. Two policemen were also killed and two others were hurt in the Sunday skirmishes. Fajura identified the fatalities as Inspector Ricky Arado and Police Officer 1 Serafin Manungas, while the wounded were PO1 Lloyd Bagnol and PO1 Francis Luib. In Nabunturan town in Compostela Valley, suspected NPA hitmen shot and killed two soldiers in a public market on Monday. The soldiers were having their breakfast inside an eatery in Barangay (village) Poblacion at around 8:30 a.m. when two armed members of the communists' Special Partisan Unit attacked them, said Superintendent Ronald dela Rosa, Compostela Valley police director. Dela Rosa identified the slain soldiers as Sergeant Rhizzan Alcos and Private First Class Estardian Gil Magno, of the Army's Special Forces Battalion. A fish vendor, Nina Collado, was wounded in the foot. Dela Rosa said the victims, who were part of a six-member team who went to the market to buy supplies, were shot at close range. The gunmen fled onboard a red TMX motorcycle, carting off an M16 rifle and ammunition bandoliers, heading towards Barangay Pangutosan. Dela Rosa said another rifle, an M14, was found under the body of one of the victims. He said troops from police's 1102nd provincial mobile group have been pursuing the attackers." I have to say I don't lke the sound of that!

Tot: 0.13s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0578s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb