Mt. Tagapo


Advertisement
Philippines' flag
Asia » Philippines » Rizal » Binangonan
February 25th 2015
Published: February 26th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Mt. Tagapo known to the locals as Mt. Susong Dalaga (Maiden's Breast Mountain) is found at the heart of Laguna de Bay located at Brgy. Janosa, Talim Island, Binangonan Rizal. It stands 438 MASL and would take about 1.5-2 hrs day hike to the summit with a difficulty level of 2/9.



Scheduled pump boats will be available at Binangonan Port to give you a ride to Brgy. Janosa. These pump boats will stop at different barangays. You need to sign in at Janosa's barangay hall before hiking and there you can ask for a guide. The locals are very warm and friendly always smiling and accommodating, proof of the Filipino's hospitality.



We started our hike at around 0830 hrs. Along the trail are small to medium-sized rock formations, tall and elegant bamboo stalks, tall green grass and thorny plants. (which I do not know the name) I suggest you to wear long sleeved clothes or arm bands/protectors and trekking/jogging pants not mainly because of the heat but because of the thorny plants. Do not wear shorts or t-shirts because I tell you the thorny plant will really slash through your skin. (just kidding it would
Sto. Domingo Parish ChurchSto. Domingo Parish ChurchSto. Domingo Parish Church

Located near the Brgy. Hall
just sting) Tall bamboo stalks and some of the trees offer little shade where you can sit under to rest and catch your breath as you marvel on the mountain's view. It wasn't humid but fairly breezy at times so it was a refreshing hike for our group.



A 15 minute trek along the tall grassy slopes will lead you to the mountain's summit. Around 1030 hrs we reached the peak. The summit offered a jaw-dropping 360 view of the nearby cities, large lake and surrounding mountains. There were gusty winds atop the mountain and you can really feel the cool air flowing. We decided to have our lunch at the summit there aren't any trees that can offer us shade so we can really feel the hot sun burning on our skin. We stayed a few minutes longer to take pictures and to just take in the beauty of Mt. Tagapo and the panoramic view of the adjacent mountains and the surrounding lake. It was a good break from the hustle bustle of the city.



On our side trip in Brgy. Janosa, while waiting for the scheduled pump boat to our trip home
Tall Grassy SlopesTall Grassy SlopesTall Grassy Slopes

Last leg to Mt. Tagapo's Summit
we discovered a 1 peso videoke just streets away from the barangay hall. So we decided why not sing our hearts out and enjoy it a while longer with snacks on the side. We were joined by our tour guide and some of the locals even became good acquaintances. While waiting for our boat we also had the chance to see the beautiful sunset at Janosa's port.



Mt. Tagapo is a much easier hike as compared to other hike-able mountains in the Philippines. I would highly recommend Mt. Tagapo to other beginning hikers like me. This was my second mountain and I find it a more laid back climb as compared to my Mt. Pico de Loro hike. Nonetheless it was fun and memorable and still looking forward to more mountains to climb.



Side notes:

Registration fee - 20 pesos

Travel guide fee - 300 pesos

Pump boat fee - 30 pesos

Total estimated budget - 500 pesos










Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Kiss the sun goodbyeKiss the sun goodbye
Kiss the sun goodbye

Sunset at Brgy. Janosa, Talim Island, Binangonan Rizal


Tot: 0.129s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0885s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb