Edit Blog Post
Published: July 28th 2015
The back of the Caticlan Jetty facing the island of Boracay. This is where the tourists take the boat to the island.
Boracay Island is in the Philippines. It is located in the township of Caticlan, Aklan. Boracay became popular after it has been featured in the Hollywood movie called Too Late The Hero starring Michael Caine, Cliff Robertson and Henry Fonda. The movie was filmed on locations in Boracay and Caticlan. In succeeding years, beginning the 1980s, Boracay became a Backpackers' destination. According to Wikipedia, Boracay's beaches were acclaimed as the best in the world. Puka Beach, also located in Boracay, is considered as one of the best 100 Beaches in the World. I visited Puka Beach in the 90's.
How To Get There?
From Manila, Cebu, Puerto Princesa and other key cities in the Philippines and Asia, there are regular flights from these points to Caticlan Airport or Iloilo City International Airport.
From Caticlan Airport, there are tourist buses that will transfer the tourists from the airport to the Caticlan Jetty. From the Jetty, there are boats that will again, transfer the tourists from Caticlan to the Boracay Port.
The Caticlan Airport, Caticlan Jetty and Boracay port, operates 24/7.
I suggest that you arrange with your hotel or somebody you know on the island to meet
Caticlan Jetty from the distance. I am on board the boat going to Boracay.
you at the Boracay Jetty and take you to your hotel.
From Kalibo Airport, there are tourist buses that transfer tourists from Kalibo to Caticlan Jetty.
From Iloilo City, there are air conditioned Vans for hire. From Iloilo the van travels for 5 hours with a top-over at Pengee's for lunch.
From Tagbak Bus Terminal at Iloilo City, there are air-conditioned Ceres Buses that serviced the Iloilo-Caticlan routes. Travel time is about 5 hours depending on the number of stops the bus will make. Usually, they stop to pick-up passengers.
From Dumaguete, there are air-conditioned Ceres Buses that serviced the Dumaguete to Bacolod routes. Tourists from Mindanao and other Visayan islands may follow these routes. Or, they can go by planes from Mindanao cities to Cebu, Cebu to Kalibo or Iloilo.
Tourists that travel from Dumaguete to Bacolod will then take the boats (fast crafts) from Bacolod port called BREDCO or Reclamation port to Iloilo City. At Iloilo port, there are air-conditioned Vans that are lined-up or queueing in the parking area. Tourists can take the Van to Caticlan. If you will hire the Van it may take between P3,500 to P4,000. Exchange rate of
Sunset at Boracay Island.
the US Dollar is US$1.00 is to PhP45.00 as of this writing. The Van make a stop over at Pengee's for lunch.
What to do at Boracay Island? There are many things you can do on the island, depending on your choices.
• Island hopping that includes the famous Puka Island.
• Scuba Diving.
• Underwater photography.
• EXTREME FUN that includes flyboards, hoverboards, among others.
• Banana ride.
• Jet Ski.
• Sailing the Paraw (locally constructed boats with sails).
• Helicopter Ride that will take you to an aerial view of the island.
• Board Jumping at Ariel's and lunch included, just arrange it with your hotel front desk.
• Hair braiding.
• Tatoo, both Henna and permanent.
• Museum tour.
• Buying art pieces from local artists.
• Reading on the beach with books borrowed from a local library.
• Island tour using a rented bike or riding the Tricycle or Golf cart if you happened to be a guest of the golf club.
• Beach Volleyball with local boys and girls, I mean, not really locals because some expats living in the island take the lead to play the volleyball with tourists.
• Play Football with locals who are avid fans of Brazilian football, a few
of them have connections with Brazilian football enthusiasts.
• Play basketball in the local gym with local players
• Massage Therapy under the coconut tree.
• Shopping for locally made products at D'Mall.
• Bar and Restaurant hopping is an exciting experience for you to savor on local and international cuisine.
• Listen to live band performances.
• Watch the Fire Dancers.
• Go to the beach, in the early morning and catch the fishermen bring their catch of local fish
• Stroll the long stretch of the White Beach barefoot. It is not good to walk the sand with flip-flops because it can cause ache on your feet and maybe, strain your muscle.
• Go hunting for souvenir item like tees, key chains, colorful malongs, and other products at D'Mall.
• Go to the local market for fresh vegetables, fish, fruits in season and coconut, among others.
• Eat coconut under the coconut tree and drink the fresh coconut water, or shall I say coconut juice.
• If you want you can just hang around the bar and restaurants to entertain yourself in the company of local and international tourists. The locals call it Daddy's Day Care while Mommy went shopping.
• You can also drink Philippine brewed beer and Lambanog which
are served as COLD as your Ex's Heart.
• And many other things that your heart desires.
From Caticlan Airport, Iloilo International Airport or Kalibo Airport, you can connect to other destinations like Cebu, Davao, Cagayan de Oro, General Santos (Saranggani), Manila and Puerto Princesa Palawan, among others.
From Iloilo City, you can also take the RoRo or Roll-On Roll-Off boat to Cuyo Island where parasailing is popular among European tourists. Cuyo Island's "neighbor" is the UNESCO Heritage Site - Tubbataha Reefs Natural Park.
From Cuyo, the RoRo goes to Puerto Princesa where you can tour the UNESCO Heritage Site - Underground River of Puerto Princesa. Puerto Princesa is your jump-off point to El Nido. The air-conditioned bus called Roro (not the boat), goes to El Nido. Travel time is 6 hours.
Boracay Island is the home of the world-famous White Beach. It is a long stretch of white sand. The best sunset I have seen in my life is at Boracay Island.
There are several world-class hotels and resorts on the island. Night life on Boracay is an exciting moment of my visit to the island for the 7th time.
My first was in 1992 when the island was not as fully developed as it is today, 2015.
In my recent adventure at Boracay Island, I chose Red Coconut Beach Hotel. It is located in the heart of the island and facing the White Beach. It is accessible to all points: bars and restaurants, D'Mall, sunbathing area, and many others. If you chose to play golf, the Blue Waters Golf Club and Resort is just a few minutes away by Tricycle, Golf Cart, or Carry, that small vehicle that really fits the small streets of the island.
"Dayon Kamo Sa Boracay". Welcome to Boracay.
Tot: 3.41s; Tpl: 0.051s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0413s; 3; m:saturn w:www (126.96.36.199); sld: 3;
; mem: 1.4mb