Lagen and Dibuluan

Philippines' flag
Asia » Philippines » Palawan » El Nido
November 26th 2016
Published: October 1st 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 11.1804, 119.395

Sunny and windy most of the day.

In the morning, Paul intended to go snorkeling on a tour but instead went to the secret lagoon, which he said was very cool … he just wasn't prepared for it.

At 10:30, we took the outrigger (about 35 minutes) to the El Nido Lagen Resort. This resort has more of a "hotel" feel … there are a few over-the-water cabins, but most rooms are in a two-story building around the pool. (There's a pool.) The kayak area seems to be entirely behind the breakwater (which was really doing its job today). But from the resort, you can hike up, up, up, then down, down, then up again over to another beach. The hike takes one through the forest. A large group was going over, but Paul and I quickly outhiked the group so we could enjoy the sounds of the forest … birds and wind in the canopy. Maybe a Palawan squirrel (red, with fluffy tail). It was a good, steamy hike, and I felt refreshed when we arrived.

The wind was very, very strong at the other beach. Paul and I tried to set up a chaise lounge, but the cushions blew off instantly. So, instead, we walked down and back on the beach, which was not particularly soft sand.

After about 10 or 15 minutes, a speed boat from the main resort arrived to bring us back. We saw a platform against the cliff … apparently for the people who climb the cliffs to retrieve bird nests for soup. (I know it's a living, but hsssss.)

At Lagen, we had lunch, then took a very brief swim. Then, at 1:30pm, we boarded the outrigger again to head to another beach club.

Off the beach, heading perpendicular to the island, was a sandbar, reaching out a long way into the channel. So, of course, Paul and I decided to walk it. Unfortunately, we were misled by the name “sandbar” and by the soft-ish sand near the beach club. While fun to go out, out into the bay, the chunks of coral were very hard on the soles of our feet. Still, we made it out to the convergence point, where the two current that wrap around the island meet (and deposit more sand).

Returning to the beach, we walked to the other end … where we saw a monitor lizard. Then Paul tried snorkeling, which he said was quite good, while I bobbed about the in waves.

At 3pm, we returned to Miniloc, arriving just before 4pm.

Paul went for a snorkel while I downloaded a new book. It took a long time.

We sat in the chaises and enjoyed happy hour. Then din-kins. Then reading on the chaises again, with the wonderful evening breeze. Then bed and sleep.

Additional photos below
Photos: 101, Displayed: 23


Tot: 1.822s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0264s; 1; m:saturn w:www (; sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb