Coron, Palawan Adventure


Advertisement
Philippines' flag
Asia » Philippines » Palawan » Coron
March 27th 2010
Published: March 27th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Coron, PalawanCoron, PalawanCoron, Palawan

Kayangan Lake

Coron, Palawan Adventure - Beware Patrik's Guesthouse



Its summertime again and I can't wait to hit the beach. Our first destination this 2010 is the wonderful place of Coron. Being an avid fan of snorkeling and water activities, I decided to come back to Coron for the 2nd time. Its actually 3rd for Palawan since we were in El Nido during the later months of 2009.

Below is the Coron Itinerary:

Day 1: Arrival in Coron,
Half Day Coron Island Tour
Overnight in Banana Island

Day 2: Whole day Coron Island tour
Overnight @ Patrik's Guesthouse

Day 3: Departure to Manila (AM)


Before our actual flight, I directly coordinated with Patrik of Patrik's Guesthouse for our accommodations and other necessary things like SUGGESTED CORON ITINERARY. Refer to the end of the blog for the reason why we are no longer recommending Patrik's Guesthouse (Swewa).


Our flight was scheduled @ 8:10 in the morning. I do suggest taking the PAL express and avoid using Cebu Pacific. I find the latter's plane space very small as its quite very hard to stretch the legs while seated. PAL has enough room to put the bag right before our feet without the crampy feeling.





We arrived at 8:30AM in Busuanga Airport and looked for Jayjay. My friends and I were puzzled due to we expected a certain Jayjay to pick us up. When we asked around, one of the van drivers informed us that Jayjay was in Cebu. Again, it left us puzzled as we brushed this miscommunication aside and asked one of the drivers if we can get a ride to Coron Town Proper.

Spectacular view from the plane

The driver obliged and for P150 per person and an hour later, we arrived @ Patrik's Guesthouse.

Upon arrival @ 9:30, we were greeted by Richelle, the caretaker. She told us that we needed to go to the market to buy Raw food like fish, pork, vegetables and potable water good for 2 days since we will be having our overnight @ Banana island (we were told that there was no store to buy food in the said island). We again obliged and opted to the market and left our things in the guesthouse.

While in the market, I was asked by one of my friends if we only need to buy Raw food or we also need other stuff like charcoal for grilling and matches. I called up Richelle and told me that we also had to buy these stuff. Again, we obliged and bought the things.

We then went back to the guesthouse in preparation of the boat trip to nearby islands. Richelle was nowhere to be seen. Good service! Good thing, I already stayed with Patrik on our first Coron trip that I knew where our boat was parked. We then changed ourselves into our swimming gears and boarded the boat complete with our things. We never left anything in the guesthouse.

We left Coron at 11:30AM (Almost lunchtime)

First Stop: Siete Pecados



I was delighted with Siete Pecados as I love snorkeling. We however, had minor problems while in the water as the current was strong due to high winds. But then again, we really enjoyed ourselves. Who can resist those fishies?? Too bad colorful corals were out of sight, as well as Nemo.

We paid P100 for the entrance fee



Second Stop: Kayangan Lake



Paid P200 for the entrance fee. Please don't forget that Twin Lagoon is free if you came from Kayangan Lake as both are near from each other and owned by the same tribe.

It was almost 1:00PM and we were starving. Upon disembarkment on the island, the boatman, Manong Golem scolded my friends at to why there were no cooking utilities. I suddenly panicked and started thinking how can the guesthouse (Richelle) left the griller?? Isn't it suppose to be mandatory that they pack these things since there were no restaurants nor store in those islands?? Again, we didn't want to spoil the vacation, therefore we went ahead to climb the Kayangan lake hill and prayed that we won't collapse of hunger.

Our Aqua Shoes saved us from the rocky edges during the climb. I highly suggest wearing aqua shoes when in Palawan as it is both good in climbing small hills and in the water (snorkeling, bumming around in the shoreline)





My friends and I were mesmerized by the tranquility and picturesque view.

After taking our time and pictures, we went to the other end of the trail and found an extension of the lake. There we found serenity. It was so quiet that we sat on the foot bridge while our feet waded in the clear water. We almost forgot we were starving.



While descending the hills of Kayangan, we were greeted by freshly cooked rice and viands. We then found out that Manong Golem and then boat assistant Obet asked for cooked rice and had to borrow cooking materials from the other boat island tourist. What a shame!! We bought raw pork, fish and veggies and yet we had to ask for our food. I was fuming mad but I decided to keep cool as I don't want to ruin my vacation with my friends.

Third Stop: Baraccuda Lake



After that hearty (but pitiful) lunch, we proceeded to Baraccuda Lake. It was covered with limestones that you had to climb up to get a glimpse of the other side. I went ahead of the others. There were limestones to climb and upon reaching the "almost" top, I saw the descend was a bit steep. With the ladder which looks so unrealiable, I decided to say "I CAN'T DO IT" and hopped back to the boat with a grim face. I WAS so excited to see baraccuda lake since I was kind of curious as to what awaits us on the other side. But then again, better safe than sorry. 😞

Limestones lined up baraccuda Lake entrance

We could have paid P100 each but since we chickened out due to the steep climb, we left the place without paying!

Ascending in the steep limestones

Wonderful facade of Baraccuda lake entrance. You have to climb up the limestone walls to get the fantastic view of the lake.

Glimpse on the other side of the limestone walls

Fourth Stop: Skeleton Wreck Beach



We then snorkeled our hearts out and got so interested (for a minute) with the sunken ship below us. It was my first time to see a shipwreck that I immediately thought of Titanic.





Last Stop of the Day: Banana Island



P200 for the entrance fee (no overnight)
P700 per person for the both overnight and entrance. There are other cottages that offers P500 per person.

We arrived in Banana Island an hour after the Sunken Ship beach. It was almost at the end of the Coron group of island, we thought, since it took us an hour to get there.

I however felt a sense of relief that I can now relax and just do my own thing, gaze at the marvelous, relaxing view and let it take away all the worries and the stress from reality. I was now officially in my surreal zone.

Approaching banana Island







Nature doing what it does best, taking away all the stress and worries.

Since the boatman and the Patrik's guesthouse staff forgot to bring pans, silverwares and plates, good thing Banana island offers these amenities for free. Luckily, two of my friends are good in the kitchen and prepared our super lifesaving supper by grilling the meat and veggies as well as preparing the dessert which is the uber sweet mangoes that we bought from the Coron market.

We stayed up till 10PM and slept like babies.

DAY TWO


Still in Banana Island



Wind was blowing hard when we woke up. We initially thought it would be impossible for us to get back to Coron, we were afraid it was typhoon. Good thing, the sun was up and clouds were clear. No sign of typhoon was seen. Glad it was just a strong wind. We, however, got worried that it might hinder us from returning to the town. Manong Ernie, owner of Banana Island assured us that Manong Golem is a very good boatman and the strong wind is just petty to his very vast experience in handling boats.

Upon opening the cottage doors (yes 2 doors), 2 resident dogs we named whitee and blacky were seated on our "veranda" as if guarding us with all their might.


Whitee our very reliable, sweet resident guard dog. 😊

After few hours of pictorials on this wonderful island, we went ahead for our breakfast. The banana island staff was very accommodating in asking us for anything that would make our stay very comfortable like cooking our leftover rice as "sinangag". During our breakfast, we chatted with Manong Ernie and found some interesting facts about the Coron island; there was a piece of island on sale for only P2 Million ($40,000) and he was offering it to us!! Maybe next time po Manong Ernie, but thanks for the kind offer. 😊


Goodbye Banana Island! It was so nice staying there

We then prepared to depart and paid the P700 per person to Manong Ernie. He was also kind enough to offer the beautiful extension part of Banana island where a sandbridge is visible during low tide before we get back to our usual Coron Island tour.

First Stop: Banana Island Extension (or is this Maloroyroy??)




Approaching the Banana Island Extension

We loved the extension of the island that we requested to skip Malcapuya and Banol Beach (which is P100 entrance fee each!). We decided to spend more time in Banana Island extension since it was offered us for free!!

Freakin' Thanks Manong Ernie! 😊

Lovely Pictures of the Banana Island Extension:











The view from above is spectacular. Thanks to our mountaineer friend.





We left the banana Island after an hour of splashing waters and posing for the camera with heavy hearts. I already fell in love with the island and I'm definitely coming back! We then proceeded to the the Coron Island Loop.

The journey back to Coron was not as smooth as we all thought. Rough waves washed the boat making sure that each of the passengers gets bathed with saltwater. Those were indeed strong waves, but for some unknown reason, ILOVEDIT! Probably because I was not scared as there were no typhoon and the sun was at its hottest. Or maybe, i just liked the rocking sensation that each thrashing waves lullabies me that makes me want to release my hand from the tight grip that holds me to the boat and just lay on my back and fall asleep.

Second Stop: Twin Lagoon



P100 per person.

Upon our arrival in the Coron Island Loop, huge waves began to smoothen out as it welcomes us to Twin Lagoon.

Twin Lagoon is made up of huge, picturesque limestones which forms a maze as we go through the entrance. It is made up of two "lagoons" separated by a huge wall of limestones. One must dive and enter the opening located under the water OR climb up the bamboo walkway and up to the other side of the wall. Admittedly, I ain't know how to swim so I just forced myself to fetch myself to the bamboo support and climbed up the scary ladder and into the other side.

On the other side was the peaceful set of twin. This part is 3 times enormous than the first lagoon that the whole view was so surreal and we just can't help but be mesmerized by its vast area. We swam to check out the other side of the lagoon only to find a house with locals living on it. Paddling back to the main entrance of the lagoon was both exhilirating and tiring as it took us almost 30 minutes to get back to where we came from.

Huge limestones guard the 2nd lagoon



Its either you climb up the bamboo stilts or dive to the opening under water.

This is where the "cashier" is located (P100 per person)

This was the last of the Coron island tour. We made our way back to the guesthouse @ 1:30 AM. When we got to the guesthouse, no staff was in sight. Oh well! We just assumed that the doors with keys inserted on them is our "rooms" since there was no one to inform us which of the rooms was ours.

We rested for a while and changed to our ordinary clothes as we went to check out the restaurants in the town proper. We were so famished! During one of our walks, we passed by PAL express only to find out that our flight was changed from 8:40 to 11:30. The hell Air Philippines (PAL express) didn't inform us. If we didn't inquire for a affiliated van going to back to busuanga airport, we could have waited for 3 hours in the empty airport.

Our flight back home was at 11:30AM. We woke up at 8:00AM and prepared ourselves for our departure. While fixing our things, I received a text from Richelle about the snorkel fees (P150 each). I texted her back stating that she can drop by the guesthouse and get it from me personally. 30 minutes passed, seemed she's not coming so I texted her that I left the payment on the cabinet in the living room. Minutes later, i received another text stating that we need to pay P300 each due to island tour was two days!

In reality, we left day one @ 11:30 AM and came back to town proper at 1:30 the following day. That was 2 one half day tours. We paid her anyway since i vowed not to get them nor recommend them to my travelling friends.

What really pisses me off is the uncivilized attitude of the owner, Patrik, in handling customer complaints. Before we left the guesthouse, I left a message on the white board stating why we are not recommending the guesthouse anymore.



1. We are used to of the guesthouse prebooking our land transfer. This is the only instance that the number was given to us so WE WILL BE THE ONES TO book ourselves in. Anyway, this is a miscommunication but decided to add this in since WHO WANTS TO WORRY ABOUT LAND TRANSFER anyway??

2. The staff left the griller (pangihaw) nor plates and silverwares when she deliberately told us to buy raw food to be cooked. Due to this, we had to resort to asking for rice from the other tourists and borrow cooking tools.

3. We were left on our own whenever we were in the guesthouse. Never asked if we need anything like spoons, forks, plates.

4. We were not informed that there are still places that we can go to like Lusong wreck, coral garden etc. We stated that we continue with the Island tour right after banana island. We were just confused as to why we returned to Coron at 1:30, there were still ample time to go to other places. We could have covered all places if we were properly informed. We did ask for "suggested" itinerary, didn't we?

5. And lastly and worst of ALL, when we aired our concerns, this is what we got:

A very very rude uncivilized manner of addressing the guests. I do hope he goes out of business because of the bad way of treating other people. He could have apologized for the inefficient staff.

I have stayed in Patrik's guesthouse two years ago. I directly coordinated with him and there was no problem. In fact, I used to highly recommended him in all the chat forums that I was in.

I highly encourage other victims (those whose concern was not enough life vests, publicly humiliated by Patrik) to post in forums the bad experience they had with the guesthouse since its only way to attract guest is by word of mouth.

I will definitely go back to Palawan particularly in El Nido and Coron. I'll get a guesthouse next time that offers real hospitality and hassle free organization of boat trips. But definitely I will be wiser and staying at Patrik's guesthouse will never be an option.

00
DAYS  
00
HOURS 
00
MINS 
00
SECS

Counter



Advertisement



28th March 2010

PATRIK GUESTHOUSE NOT RECOMMENDED
I would have to agree with you on this. He is the owner and for tourists who didn't really know where to go exactly... they should have given suggestions to the tourist. You forgot to note here too that they only show up when they are asking for the payments. other people wouldn't have paid them! There's no one to vent and Richelle was not accommodating at all. She even said Patrik was still asleep at 10 in the AM!! I'd say, i have been to many places and if a review was for this guesthouse, i shall say that no one deserves to be treated they way they have treated us in this guesthouse!!!
28th March 2010

INFORMATION
MAAM/SIR VISIT MY WEBPAGE FOR YOUR ACCOMMODATIONS AND OTHER INFO http://zaldyangulo.webs.com for your coron accommodations and other coron info thanks zaldy
29th March 2010

Whoa !
Thanks for taking me to Coron, 'tin... And re : Patrick, if only I knew it's going to be that way-- i will definitely bring my tent and just sleep at open spaces..hahahaha But it's a good experience though ! :)
29th March 2010

"Since the boatman and the Patrik's guesthouse staff forgot to bring pans, silverwares and plates, good thing Banana island offers these amenities for free" It is not for free, its included in the 700p per head that you guys are paying for your stay at Banana island :)
30th March 2010

Paying for Utilities
Thanks Helen. Well, Patrik should have informed us that we need to pay for the guesthouse' pans, silverwares and plates so that they won't forget to bring them next time. :)
3rd April 2010

peace
i disagree with you... obviously, there was misunderstanding on your part. ..the owner was too lax to consider that you will do your job as you planned/arranged your trip. you too is too lax to depend on them alot. sa dating ng sinulat m... nag depende kayo masyado sa kanila, and you expected alot from them..... extra effort would come on your part dahil gusto m maganda ang vcation nyo.you should double check things, especially its your second time in coron... you must be aware how things go there... and if not.... diskarte lng, kung ano andyan, pagtyagaan... remember... makisama dpat lalo na pag dayo lang.i believe when doing things or any project, its important to clarify simple things. especially small details kasi dun pumapalpak. you don't have to drag or do campaign about the guesthouse. i'd like to think masama ang loob m kaya ganyan.... just think of this... sooner or later mawawala yan... pero ang sirain ang kapwa with the use of internet.... hirap ata burahin. mas okay siguro if you suggest on how they will improve their service for the next guest of coron. walang personalan peace:)
3rd April 2010

Disagreement
I also disagree with what you just posted. Since we already stayed with Patrik and didn't have to inform them to bring cooking utensils, we did recommend them to other Coron vacationers (for two years straight, believe it or not). Since the staff (Richelle) told us to buy Raw food from the market, I do believe it is already their discretion to bring cooking utensils. Even during our first Coron trip, we didn't need to remind them to bring these cooking utensils since almost all boat rides in Coron prepare their food in the islands, which is why I got their services again. I know you are concerned with Patrik, I do think he's your friend or something but as a guest, a customer it is pretty mandatory that they need to check as to what the customers would be needing during boat rides. We paid for the boat rides, I admit its cheap compared to others but that doesn't mean that we need to remind them what to bring like life vests for instance or cooking utensils. Misunderstanding or not, I think as a customer who paid for their services must be treated like one and not give rude and uncivilized comments. Also, it is my discretion to post my experiences whether good or bad. My friends also posted the same thing, its not just me who felt bad, there are 5 more people who felt the service sucks.
3rd April 2010

makisama dpat lalo na pag dayo lang.
I completely disagree with this one. We are the customers, we don't need to make "makisama". Being the one who provides service to customer, doesn't it have to be the "vendor"?
6th April 2010

Unprofessional
I don't understand why these kids are getting blamed for their unpleasant experience. I believe in doing your homework beforehand but these kids saved up what little money they have so they can have a nice vacation and resort owners should know that. They have a business to run and the paying customers enter into a contract to pay what's due. The resort owners should be hospitable and accomodating to them that's part of the service that was paid for.
18th April 2010

happy guests make for good PR
i agree with mench. we all save up and spend hard earned money for trips like this and do our best to ensure that things go as smoothly as possible. the author's complaints sound reasonable, and yes, she took some things in stride and just went on with it despite the numerous hassles throughout their trip. i would have been frustrated. i cannot tolerate paying for a service only to find out that the job has not been done. i don't think it is unfair to post negative feedback like this. there is nothing wrong with warning fellow travelers of bad service providers. let's put it this way: if we didn't do our job as we are expected to, it is only a matter f time before we lose it, right? in fairness, the author did mention several times that the trip went well as a whole. by not delivering what they had promised, patrik and company risked bad publicity and this is exactly what he is getting. this is probably something he should think about next time.
11th August 2010

AWESOME CORON
Wow!!!! your pictures were amazing :) We didn't go to Banana Island but it did seem super nice!! Have you chanced upon BULOG ISLAND? It was very near Banana Island. We loved it there! http://jotan23.blogspot.com/2010/07/day-three-part-1-4d3n-coron-adventure.html
14th August 2010

Thanks!
Thank you for the appreciation. Cheers!
29th March 2011

VERY UNPROFESSIONAL
They're very unprofessional. In the first place its their job to prepare things for you as you are the customer. You' ll pay your hard earned money for this?? No way!!! As for Patrick, you should be kissing the asses of your customer so that they will return to your guesthouse, instead you just showed them that you dont care at all. Dont go into this kind of business as this business requires a lot of hospitality and kissing ass! HOSPITALITY- YOU LACK THAT DUDE! I would definitely not visit ur guesthouse! As for you who wrote this blog i salute you for your patience. If it were us, WE WILL NOT PAY!! HELL NO! To those disagreeing with me i hope this happens to you when youre on vacation! Hahahahahaha.. Lets see what you will do!!!!!!!
29th March 2011

VERY UNPROFESSIONAL
Dayyymmmm....if this happen to me, i will surely NOT PAY AT ALL! Horrible experienced man! I will surely never ever stay in patricks guesthouse nor will i encourage my family and friends to stay there!
16th October 2011

Coron Reef Pension House
Deym... I'll be staying at Coron Reef Pension House, I hope they are not like that. Any feedbacks? Hit me @ yrrehc_03@yahoo.com
17th April 2012

SHIRL BAYWALK PENSION, THE WORST AMONG THE WORST
We have been in Coron just recently, and everything is ok aside from the caretaker of Shirl Baywalk Pension House "Marilou". The pension house is nice but opposite of the caretaker, hence, it makes the totality of the place worst. Can you imagine a rest house where you cannot rest? Sounds funny, but its true. Marilou accomodates clients as if the place is strechable and yet they cannot provide facilities to use. They will provide one single foam for 2 persons and yet the payment is for 2. They will provide you foam without beddings. Even you stay for more than 1 day, they will not change the linens, according to them, they just change linens during the first day of stay. They accepts cooking of food, its fine, however, worst because, if your food was prepared by others, they get MAD, and pity for the househelpers, they will absorb the madness of owner and caretake MARILOU. How can you rest in a place where you can hear the voice of MARILOU and owner shouting at their househelpers? How can you rest in a place, where they control the electricity and water supply. Imagine, warm room with airconditioned at night, no supply of water. So think it over guys, dont you ever dare to check in at Shirl Baywalk, otherwise, your rest will put into mess.
25th June 2012

stupid van driver
I agree with you. Even getting an airport transfer, they provided us with a stupid and maniac driver named Kit. His van number is RER 134 red in color.

Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.03s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0477s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb