UNtraveled-PHiLS


Advertisement
Philippines' flag
Asia » Philippines » Negros Oriental
April 6th 2016
Published: April 6th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Spent my first 16 years of breathing in this biggest town of Negros Oriental in terms of area, Bayawan City, Philippines. It is 101km south of Dumaguete City, 2-hr bus ride at PHP103 for non-aircon. It is known as the Character City and home of the Tawo - Tawo Festival. Bayawan City is an agricultural city - coconuts, rice, sugarcane are among the major crops of the city. It has also the longest boulevard of the Philippines.

1. Four KM Boulevard. Quiet, green and spacious. Perfect for marathon training and biking. Every Friday, it has the "paonayan" or the market of agri-products from different parts of the city. You can also enjoy chicken BBQ, balut, soup noodles, etc while enjoying the silence and windy environment. Kids park, tennis, basketball and volleyball courts are available also for sports enthusiasts. Camping, surfing and fishing are also among fine activities that you can do on this stretch.

2. Niludhan Falls. Visited this captivating waterfalls both summer and rainy seasons. It maybe not that clear on rainy days but perfect to experience the wild side of the falls. On summer, the falls is such a darling. Very inviting and a picture perfect. It is located in the village of Dawis, 45km north from the city center. It's just 90mins by bus. The best day to visit the village is on its weekly farmers' gathering, Thursday.

3. Tawo-Tawo Festival. It is the festival of good harvest and how the city got its name. Witness this on the 3rd week of February during the annual town fiesta. Huge scarecrows or Tawo-Tawo are the major attraction of the festival coupled with colorful costumes and fluid steps of the performers.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0571s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb