Scuba Diving in Southeast Asia Photos


Advertisement
Philippines' flag
Asia » Philippines » Mindoro
August 30th 2013
Published: June 28th 2014
Edit Blog Post

I didn't take a lot of land photos, since our focus was on diving, at least for the first two months. These nudibranch photos were some of my first underwater photos. They were taken in Sabang near Puerta Galera, our first dive destination. Some sea slugs are exquisite, and some are just ho hum. They come in every color and size. I am familiar with nudibranchs of the Pacific Northwest, but I have had fun finding the new and unusual here in S.E. Asia.

For my non diver friends, there are two kinds of nudibranchs, or sea slugs, the dorids and the aeloids. Dorids have a "...branchial (gill) plume which forms a cluster on the posterior part of the body, around the anus." Our favorite biologist likes to tell visiting students that they breathe through their bum. The three photos I will share today are of this type of nudibranch.

The other nudibranchs, called aeolids breathe through "...cerata (spread across the back) instead of the branchial plume."

Both types of sea slugs have head tentacles that are sensitive to touch, taste, and smell. These sea creatures are also sensitive to movement, and often tuck in their plumes if they feel a change in the water movement. Patience is a necessary attribute when photographing nudibranchs. Sea slugs are hermaphroditic; they "...have a set of reproductive organs for both sexes, but cannot fertilize themselves."

Nudibranchs can be found in calm seas and high current areas and at every depth. Some are almost too small to see without using a zoom. Others can be up to eight inches long. They often have names longer than their body.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.558s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 22; qc: 119; dbt: 0.2829s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb