Apo Reef Natural Park- Paradise!


Advertisement
Philippines' flag
Asia » Philippines » Mindoro
April 5th 2008
Published: April 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Apo Reef Natural Park is located in Sablayan, Occidental Mindoro. "It is acclaimed as the best in Asia and second largest in the world, as the diving mecca of the Philippines. It is a 34- kilometer reef, located 20 miles west of Mindoro proper, with a narrow channel running east to west, dividing this reef into two lagoon systems, north and south. Underneath, the clean waters, fine white sand and numerous corals are visible.

The Apo Reef includes the fascinating bird-populated islands of Binangaan and Caois del Bajo, which have a variety of birds that can irresistibly lure birdwatchers. The surrounding waters are abundant with marine fauna and luxuriant coral growth represented by approximately 400-500 kaleidoscopic coral species. Marine life includes varieties of sharks, sting rays and manta rays." (www.tourism.gov.ph)

How to get there:

From Manila, board Jam Liner at either Kamuning, Quezon City or Pasay City, to Batangas Pier (approximately 2 and a half hours by land to Batangas sans the traffic). Once you arrived at Batangas Pier, take the Roro Boat travelling to Abra de Ilog, Occidental Mindoro (another 2 and a half hours at sea). In Abra de Ilog, take a bus or van going to Sablayan, Occidental Mindoro (3 hours by land). When you arrived at Sablayan, go to the local government eco-tourism office and register and pay the required fee for tour packages. (from sablayan, 3 hours travel by pumpboat to apo reef). the travel is quite tiring but it is all worth it once you get to apo reef natural park. Just a reminder: no electricity and no potable water on the island so you have to bring your own drinking water.


Additional photos below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

apo reefapo reef
apo reef

lagoon where the manta ray breeds
apo reefapo reef
apo reef

lagoon
apo reefapo reef
apo reef

view from the top of the lighthouse
apo reefapo reef
apo reef

view from the top of the lighthouse, take note of the raft in the lagoon
apo reefapo reef
apo reef

view from the top of the lighthouse
apo reefapo reef
apo reef

view from the top of the lighthouse


14th November 2008

cr
Is there a comfort room in the island?
15th November 2008

yes, there is a CR in the island fortunately.
3rd April 2009

do they have rooms for rent? how much are these?
4th December 2009

great
Apo Reef Natural Park is really a paradise. No words could ever explain the feelings.. just WOW GRABE... Caretakers are all knowlegeable, babait pa nila, but please let us know how much it cost to go there. We visited Apo Reef courtesy of our friends from LGU Sablayan. Maraming Salamat po. I will visit again Apo Reef with tourist freinds from Europe in April, 2010.
4th December 2009

there are rooms, but if you really want to be with nature, just bring tent, more enjoyable, together with flashlight. i would suggest visit the place during full moon. malay mo, maka witness ka ng pawikan na nangingitlog. oh di ba mas may thrill... Remember, maximun stay..... 24 HRS ONLY., this is to protect the park.
14th January 2010

Please advise on how to get to apo reef natural park from san jose, mindoro. and are there dive operators or dive shops - can we scuba dive without going on a liveaboard? many thanks
16th August 2010

care
i hope arnp will be as beautiful as today until the next generations, don't let only some people destroyed it for their personal welfare...

Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0253s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb