Camiguin Zamdudes Adventure


Advertisement
Philippines' flag
Asia » Philippines » Mindanao » Camiguin
August 14th 2006
Published: January 21st 2007
Edit Blog Post

AUGUST 7: Our flight to Butuan was 7hrs delayed due to shortage of airplane. I was disappointed because of the hassle of waking up early just to get in the airport on time, thinking I should have been sleeping in my room by this moment; instead I'm here waiting doing nothing. Around 4:00pm our flight was finally called. I choose the seat near the center so that I can sleep and not be destructed by the windows scenery.

Around 5:00pm we arrived in Butuan. We meet the person whom my cousin arranged our transportation weeks before our trip. I’ve noticed that he seems worried, I’m about to tell my wife about it when I saw we're heading to a small multicab (maybe he’s thinking how a 17 person including baggage can fit in a small multicab). Nevertheless, we pack our things and to our surprise we all fit perfectly. We were advice to postpone our trip to Camiguin and stayed for the night in Butuan city. I find Butuan city like Manila, the only difference was tricycle and multicabs is the main transportation and with less smoke belcher. We checked in in the hotel near the main road since it’s the only hotel can accommodate all of us. One of my cousins told us that letchon manok is popular in Butuan. We decided to try it out and was not disappointed, the taste was not extra ordinary but it taste good. After eating we went back to prepare ourselves for tomorrow’s adventure.

AUGUST 8: Around 5:00am we were awaken by a knock. It was my auntie asking us to wake up and prepare the breakfast. They will look for a van that can bring us to Balingonan port.

After 2hrs of travel we arrived in Balingonan port. The port had a magnificent view, right side you can see small islands, at the back the beautiful mountains of Misamis Oriental, and at front you see the silhouette of the Camiguin island. For the first time of the trip I feel excited, thinking what more Camiguin in store for us.

The feeling of excitement was replaced by worries; we're heading to an old rustic ship. I have second though if the ship can withstand rough sea during the trip. But since we already bought tickets we have no choice just to go anyway. We went to the second floor
The unsinckable ships of Benoni portThe unsinckable ships of Benoni portThe unsinckable ships of Benoni port

Old and rustic and yet reliable
where the passenger seats. It's spacious and open you can feel the strong cold wind brushing to your body, it feel's refreshing and somehow helps ease your worries. Our travel to Camiguin took us 2½ hours that supposed to be 1½ hour because of rough sea.

At Benoni port we meet Manong to drive us to Lola’s house. During the trip we pass Mambajao (were we bought food for a 3day stay), Station of the cross the Sunken cemetery and Giuob old church ruins. All sites are simple yet beautiful, no vendor selling souvenirs and no entrance fees. All of us got excited and eager to explore the sites, we ask Manong to drive us around the island as soon as we unpacked our things.

Lolas’s House
We we're greeted by a fresh buko juice picked in their backyard, uuumm refreshing... The house is a two-story semi finished. At the back, a garden and a beach. To our disappointment we were not able to swim due to big waves. I've learned that the plan is to convert the house to a small resort but it did not push through because her husband pass away.

Gui-ob old
Gui-ob old church ruinsGui-ob old church ruinsGui-ob old church ruins

See the massive thick adobe wall of the church foundation...
Church
Our first destination was the Gui-ob old church. It is situated along the highway. At the entrance you will see a shrine stating the devastating volcanic eruption in 1871, which wiped out the Spanish settlement of the Old Catarman. At the back, you will come to realize how big the church was. You will be amazed of the big and thick adobe wall of the church foundation. An old big Balete tree is added to the scenery, which I think it's almost a 100 yr old. My only disappointment was, they build a small chapel inside the church ruins which I thick not blending with the surrounding.

Sunken Cemetery
After Gui-ob old church, we went to the Sunken Cemetery. It's a 2 to 3 min ride from Gui-ob church. A huge cross was installed to mark the community cemetery that sunk during the 1871 eruption. According to Manong, the cross we were seeing was not the original cross. The original cross was destroyed by strong typhoon that devastated the island before. The sunken Cemetery is good for snorkeling, the waves are calm and lots of fishes. I decided not to swim because I'm not confortable snorkling that once before a cemetery.

Walkway to the Old volcano
It’s we’re life size statue painted in white portraying passion; death and resurrection of Jesus Christ are found. To my dismay I only climbed till the 9th station since my companions are already buying souvenirs at the shops by the entrance to the walkway. From where I stand I can see the sunken cemetery and some part of the island.
To this day I'm disappointed that I haven't climbed till the last station. Maybe the view up there is spectacular.






Ardent Hot Spring
It's already late in the afternoon and temperature is becoming cold. We decided to go to Ardent Hot spring. The resort has three pools. The first and second pool is the biggest and the warmest it is recommended for those who are not accustomed in hot water. This is where my daughter and nephews stay. The third pool is the smallest and the hottest with 38 deg C temperature.



First night in Lolas House
After a long and tiring day we went back to the house to rejuvenate. Before we sleep my cousins and I have a drinking spree at the back of the house while my daughter, niece and nephews are playing near the beach. We drink, ate till midnight. In the middle of the night the weather turns bad. Realy bad I though theres a typoon coming or a tornado somewhere. To my relief all went well through the night.

AUGUST 9:
Early in the morning I decided to go to the beach to rest for a while hoping Manong will come late this morning. Unfortunately, around 7:30am Manaong came with his reliable jeep.

Sto Nino cold spring
Our first destination was Sto Nino cold spring. The resort has one big concrete pool with cold water sprouting from sandy bottom. It's so cold that your body seems in shock from the moment you dip in the water. The water is so clear we have fun seeing small fishes swam around us. My wife and I decided to go to the deep portion of the pool to explore the site. I have confidence she's going to be all right since she had experience snorkeling in deep water of Puerto Galera. It happens so fast... I saw my wife struggling to gasp some air... she's drowning!
Mantigue island southern partMantigue island southern partMantigue island southern part

After a bumpy ride it's worth it
I went to her and grab her arm, but my wife was in panic mode, so I have difficulty staying her above water. To our luck John, (my cousin's husband) saw us and immediately come to our rescue. According to my wife, she got amazed in the water sprouting on the sandy bottom she did not noticed that her snorkeling tube was already submerged under water she drank a lot of water and the drowning starts.

Mantigue island
The Mantigue Island is three kilometers off the shore from Barangay San Roque. We rented two boats for Php 500 each to bring us to the island. The boat ride to Mantigue island was quite exciting, the waves are big due to open sea. The island is a combination of forest and white sandy beach. We spent our time exploring the island, taking photos, picking small shells for souvenirs and for the kids building sand castle. The island was so beautiful that all of us wanted to stay till late in the afternoon but the boatman told us to leave the island before 3:00pm because the waves are much bigger then. 😞

Katibawasan falls
After Mantigue Island we went to Katibawasan falls. We only stayed there for an hour to see and appreciate the beauty of the falls and at the same time to get rid of the salt water from our body. There are also fishes there but not as many in Sto cold spring.

White Island
Our last destination was the famous White island. We went to a resort (I forgot the name of the resort) where a boat will take us to White Island. The resort has brownish sand and has the best view of the White island. But weather was not on our side, waves our too strong for the boat to travel. We stayed for a while hoping for a good weather to come but to our disappointment the more we stay the more waves became stronger and bigger, so we have no choice to cancel the plan. We went back to the house and pack our things for tomorrow some of us are going back to Manila. (Thank God we cancelled our trip because minutes after we left the weather turns bad). 😊

AUGUST 10
Early in the morning we say our goodbyes to Lola, Manong and especially to Camiguin Island who’s been warm to us during our stay. We went back to Butuan city to catch up my wife, aunties and the kid’s flight back to Manila. For us cousins, we stayed for another day to explore the city. We watch Sukob (hit horror movie then) in Gaisano mall and afterwards went to Museum. I should say, in all the museum I visited Butuan's museum was the most informative. The museum's guide explains to us how Butuan was formed, the way of life of the indigenous people, customs and traditions etc. This is interesting.... she told us before Philippines became an archipelago there was Butuan to support this she shown us a seal dating back centuries prior the Spanish found the Philippines.

AUGUST 11
It's time to go home. 😞 Thinking tomorrow I'll be back to work and back in same old routine huhuhuhu... Before we go we ate at Weegols, a famous restaurant in Butuan city to end the trip with a finale (This is a must go place in Butuan the food are delicious with good service).

Please see our video and pictures during our Camiguin trip
>> Video in Camiguin Island
>> More photos during our Camiguin trip



Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 29


Advertisement

Mantigue island's northern partMantigue island's northern part
Mantigue island's northern part

After a bumpy ride it's worth it
Balingonan portBalingonan port
Balingonan port

My wife and daugther on the way to Roro
Balete tree Balete tree
Balete tree

See the trunc in the background...
Jump for JoyJump for Joy
Jump for Joy

Mantigue island
Photo session Photo session
Photo session

Zamdudes photo session in Sto Nino cold spring


Tot: 0.184s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 11; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0609s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb