Day 9 Philippines


Advertisement
Philippines' flag
Asia » Philippines » Manila
July 18th 2019
Published: July 18th 2019
Edit Blog Post

PiratesPiratesPirates

Arghhhh
Day 9 Final day

We slept in again (until 8.30) and casually got ready. I wanted another Avocado Espresso and there was a stand at the Air Asia mall that had them so we walked over and were dissapointed to find that they didn't have any avocados and couldn't make what they are advertising. We needed breakfast and I wanted Filipino style for our last day. I ordered Sisig, which is a pork dish.. it also had onions and I had forgotten to ask (i have an intolerance) so I couldn't eat it. So I ate the sides of egg and rice.

We checked out the amusement park next to the mall that overlooked Manila Bay before getting a Grab to Las Intramurous. This was the old Spanish city, a fortress of sorts with high walls to keep out the enemies. We toured Fort Santiago, learning its history and that of Jose Rizal (go on the tour to find out for yourself) and the rain started. We both laughed at the absurdity of going to a place that was put in the open walking with a predicted typhoon imminent. Someone had abandoned an umbrella as it was broken but
Singing in the rainSinging in the rainSinging in the rain

Intramurous Fort Santiago
we made use of it and kept relatively dry, although the rain was not cold and the air a hot humid, kind of like swimming while you walk, so I didn't mind the sprinkling of rain that cooled off my body temperature when the shared umbrella didn't cover all of the two of us.

We were approached by vendors in the street, wanting to sell us items (including an umbrella even though we were clearly using one..) and drivers of man powered tricycles wanting to take you for guided tours of the city. Charging 350 piso each per half hour, I bargained a 2 for 1 deal and set my countdown timer. The tour guide was very knowledgeable but I could see how taking us through each place would mount up to a couple of hours and a lot of pisos. You can walk and see the sites you want yourself for free. We visited a few churches and after the second church we didn't want to see anything church wise and asked if the driver of the tricycle with could just do a quick circuit.

With our half hour up, we caught a grab to a mall, this one was different, it had a canal and gondola and was aptly named Venice Piazza.

The mall was beautiful, the shop fronts were set to an Italian feel like you were right there. Outdoor cafes, old style venetian inspired buildings and of course the reason why this place is a must visit, the clear light blue canal with a few gondolas taking people on rides. To complement the mall, Italian and operatic music bellowed out and the place was charming. They even had pigeon feeding.

We bought our tickets (300 pisos or approx $9AUD) or for an extra 200 pisos a glass of wine for the ride.

Our gondolier had the full getup and serenaded us with a few beautiful songs while he paddled the boat. It was romantic. And the highlight to my trip to the city of Manila.

A Grab home took over an hour. Traffic was that crazy hectic we had been told about. A roundabout had up to 4 cars side by side plus a number of motorbikes with everyone tooting to get in and a few times I felt sure we would be in an accident. It was scary. So
The vertebra of Jose Rizal The vertebra of Jose Rizal The vertebra of Jose Rizal

Showing bullet holes that lodged in his spine
was driving through some of the more sketchier parts of Manila. Homes that were made of randomly placed iron sheets, partially finished homes of besser blocks and tarps for a roof or window had dogs drinking dirty water that flowed in the gutters, kids in filthy clothing being nursed or playing in the dirt that was filled with all manner of rubbish and even a hammock stung up between two trees with a tarp for shade and a line for drying clothes. The electrical cabling was an electrician's nightmare. It was a depressing and eye opening part of Manila. I can't imagine what their quality of life is like, and hope that their family and friends surround them in a community of support, maybe we place too much value here on material possessions, maybe they are wealthier in love, I don't know, but I pondered this and many more things as we drove through these. The dwellings though were such a stark contrast to the next suburb over of high rises.

Back at our hotel, we had to wait for our security deposit, which took 4 hours. It was frustrating as we had pretty much run out of pisos
PaintingPaintingPainting

Jose Rizal
and hadn't had dinner. 10pm she arrived to give it back and we needed to be up at 2am. Its going to be a long flight home tomorrow.

All in all our time in the Philippines has been great. If go again and check out the other islands for sure. I never got such of seeing another island or swimming and snorkeling the reefs. Manila on the other hand, there isn't much more to see there, at least for us. Also I would have done Manila first and them finished the holiday island hopping in the picture postcard settings of some of the most beautiful places on earth.

Check list of what you need to make sure you put on your list to bring:
Reef shoes
Reef safe sunscreen
Snorkel and mask
Mosquito repellent
Towel (many places don't have beach towels you can bring on tours)
Metal straws
Green bag for shopping
Bathing suit
Waterproof bag for your phone
Hand sanitizer
Bum wipes








Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Stained glass windowsStained glass windows
Stained glass windows

Catholic church
CheersCheers
Cheers

Gondola ride
How romanticHow romantic
How romantic

Gondola ride


Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.039s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0184s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb