The Beginning of My Dive Adventure in Philippines


Advertisement
Philippines' flag
Asia » Philippines » Manila » Malate
December 9th 2013
Published: January 5th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Manila to Puerto Galera

How we managed to get from Manila to Batangas City then to Puerto Galera was amazing. We were totally clueless and decided to do things on a whim.

Out of My Comfort Zone

This had been a very exciting year, and this was my 4th trip of the year. I did not expect this one to be one of my most adventurous trip I had ever embarked on.

There are so many first:


• missing luggage
• stuck at the airport
• hunting for hostel and hotel on my own
• sleeping alone
• totally unplanned travel trip
• clueless about the place and how to get there
• going up to people and strike a conversation
• totally uncontactable
• going to a place where everyone told me not to go


Nevertheless, it had been one of my most awesome get-aways in years.



Manila

The moment I touched down at Manila International Airport, it wasn't the most pleasant part of my trip. We had been informed that our luggages were not on the same flight. We were told to wait out for the next incoming flight to see if our luggage was on it. I seriously suspected that it was due to the lack of booking on the next flight, hence they decided to put our luggages on that flight so that it will not be too wasteful for the flight.

However, it was such a horrifying experience that I do not wish to go through it again. I was one of the lucky few who managed to claim my luggages. For those whose luggages were not on that flight, had to wait up to 1 day for their luggages to arrive. I really felt sorry for those who were in transit or was going somewhere else like me.

For me, this part of the trip was just a short get-away to one of the islands near Manila. As my friend, Ed and I, were supposed to join up with the main diving group of friends on the 12th, and we did not want to do too much flying. Hence, we decided on a short trip to a nearby island, Puerto Galera on Minodo Island, for diving, as recommended by one of my friend.

After claiming my luggage, I took a metered cab to Manila Boutique Hostel, in Malate district. The hostel is very tiny and could be easily missed. It is situated along the same road as Best Western Antel. Nonetheless, the hostel is very cosy and the staffs are very friendly. I found Ed up waiting for me the entire night, as he was on his flight from US.

As both of us did not do much homework on how to get to Batangas Pier from Manila, we were also unsure of where the nearest bus terminal was to the hostel. Hence, we decided to go out and grab a cab to a nearby bus terminal instead of walking. Moreover, all the flying and our heavy luggages kinda made both of us pretty exhausted.

In the end, exhaustion took over and we decided to take a cab instead of the bus. Ed was a good negotiator and we managed to get a cab driver to bring us directly to Batangas City for 2500 php and we would pay for all the taxes and tolls along the way.

Upon arriving at Batangas City, I realised that the entire journey took about 2.5 hours and costed us about 2850 php with taxes. I felt that it was kinda worth it, as we were pretty exhausted and dragging our luggages around was no joke. We caught the ferry, run by Father and Son Shipping Line, for 630 php (for the both of us). We were also told to purchase our return ferry ticket at the Sabang Ferry Terminal, which I found out later that there was no terminal, just a pier.



Puerto Galera

As we were boarding the boat, we realised that there were a lot of porters around. And every one of them was trying to offer their help to carry our luggages onto the boat. Initially, we refused as we were not sure what they were going to do or what they wanted. After a while, we realised that all these porters were helping the passengers carry their luggages onto the boat as the only connection between the port and the boat was just a thin wooden plank. It really made me feel as if I was made to walk the plank 0.o

Thus, we relented and allowed two of the porters to help us with our luggages to bring them onto the boat, and paid them a little tip. It was the same when we arrived at Sabang Beach at Puerto Galera, where the porter helped us unload our luggages and bring it all the way to our dive resort - Blue Ribbons. Unknown to us then, all these luggage carriers earned their living through the tips even by these boat passengers and they would haggard for a better tipping price when they carry larger or heavier luggages.

Even though, Ed wasn't too happy that we were spending so much money on tips, I was more than happy for the addition help. So for those who are going over to these places, do prepare small change so that you could tip these porters. However, if you feel like a Scrooge and doesn't need any help, do have those backpack-kind of luggages, so that it is easier for you to embark and disembark from the boats.



Extra Information

Will write soon, about our stay and dive with Blue Ribbons and Capt n Gregg's, in my next post.

Meanwhile, here some information for those who are interested in a free & easy around Manila and to Puerto Galera:

Taxis - how we love and hate them


• There are 2 kind of taxis - Yellow metered and white non-metered
• Try to get the metered cab wherever you go in Manila, it is much cheaper.
• However, if you are caught in a jam or on long distance travel, then it would be better to bargain for a fix price - normal rate for the trip from Manila to Batangas City is about 3000 to 4000 php.



Bus Transports from Manila to Batangas City


Alps the bus
Jam Transit, Inc
Si-kat Ferry Bus Services



Ferries available from Batangas City to Puerto Galera - information taken from http://www.puertogaleradive.com/gettingthere.html

Upon arrival in Batangas pier, go to Terminal 3 (for Outrigger Ferries) or Terminal 2 (for the RORO ferry) and find the ticket booth of the ferry going to Puerto Galera.

Puerto Galera has now 3 major points of entry, namely, Sabang Pier, Muelle Pier, and White Beach. If you are going to Sabang, choose the ferry that will go directly to Sabang Pier. If you are going to White Beach, make sure that the ferry will go to White Beach.

There are many shipping companies plying the Batangas-Puerto Galera route. The major passenger ferries are as follows: FSL or Father and Son Shipping Lines and MSL or Minolo Shipping Lines. The maximum capacity of an outrigger ferry is from 60 up to 120 passengers. The ticket costs is always depends on the season, regular season currently is ranging from 250 to 300 pesos and peak season is around 300-350 pesos, one-way.

The first ferry trip to Puerto Galera is 7:30 am during the normal season and every hour thereafter, one or 2 ferries depart until 4:30 pm which is usually the last trip to Puerto Galera. If you happen to disembark at the wrong pier or landing site, there are tricycles that you can hire to bring you to the resort of your choice.

Guests may also opt to use their own car to drive to Batangas Port where there is secured and covered parking available 24 hours, for a fee of Php 200.00 per day. Once there, Ferry services to any port of Puerto Galera are available for Php 250.00 or depends on the season plus the (EUF) Environmental Tax of Php50.00 and Php 10.00 terminal fee.

It is slightly cheaper to get your return tickets at the pier at Puerto Galera too. So if you have not decided how long you are going to be at Puerto Galera, you may want to keep your return open.

Advertisement



5th January 2014

In behalf of Manila...
I apologize for the inconveniences my city brought upon you. I do wish that your stay will improve in the next few days. ^^ looking forward to your next entries.
5th January 2014

It's all part of an experience
Hi Jay, it's alright. As a matter of fact, I never blamed Manila Airport, more of shocked that it happened. It was all part of an experience, although it is not something that I would like to go through again. Thanks for sharing too ^_^

Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 17; qc: 63; dbt: 0.0604s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb