Whale sharks and wake parks


Advertisement
Philippines' flag
Asia » Philippines » Luzon
February 26th 2012
Published: February 26th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Today’s blog is about persistence in the face of disappointment and pure joy.

We arrive in Legazpi, and recruit a new member to our crew, a Dutch girl that has come for the same reason we are here – to swim with Botanding (whale sharks). An hour van ride to the south, and we’re in Donsol, home of the largest concentration of whale sharks in the world. We find a nice resort on the beach, and check in. The evening is concluded with massages, coconuts, and whisky with the locals.

The next morning, we get to the area where the boats depart from. The boat is a small fishing boat, with 5 of us tourists, and another 6 crew members, the BIO (Butanding Interaction Officer), 3 spotters (2 in the front, one on top), the mechanic, and the boat captain. The idea is we travel around the waters, looking for whale sharks (or other boats that spotted them) and when we find them jump in to join them for a swim. Attempt 1 was a bust and we were totally disappointed. 3 hours at sea and we didn’t spot a single one. The BIO comes up with a questionable explanation for why we didn’t see any, something about the moon – we are skeptic, and try to figure out our next move. We are then offered to join for the search the next day (which should be much better, again because of the moon) at half price – we agree.

Day 2 was awesome! We spotted the Botanding 4 times, each getting better than the previous. When the spotter saw the shark, the boat rode out as quick as possible, while we get on our snorkeling gear. When the BIO says go, no hesitation, and we are in the water directly above this massive gentle giant swimming as fast as we can to keep up – it’s literally breathtaking. Persistence paid off.

That night we dine satisfied at the best restaurant the city has to offer – the barracuda. 3 hours of food, drinks, and belligerent conversations with both the restaurant owner and fellow travelers, and we’re ready for bed. The next morning, we return to Legazpi, and part ways. For better or for worse, I’m now once again a solo traveler. Now my journey continues to the joy part – wakeboarding.

The CamSur Water Complex (CWC) has been said to be the best cable park in the world – I have no base for comparison, but it was freaking sweet. I have only one day here, so to get the most out of it, I wakeboard from 9 AM to 7 PM – sun burned, and soar on my whole body – I take the two hour bus ride back to Legazpi, where I’ll be flying to Cebu the next day. The bus pulls into Legazpi at 10:30 PM, I check into a hotel and head out for dinner. Waking up the next day at 6, to catch an 8 AM flight, I should probably get to sleep early. That would have been the case, if I hadn’t run into the coolest stranger I ever met. While walking around Legazpi, it starts to rain, I take shelter, and start taking to a random stranger. Efram, a local, was heading out to meet his girl friend and friends at a bar and got rained out as well (on a motor cycle) – he enthusiastically invites me, and I accept. Now, riding on the back of a motor cycle with a stranger in the rain, we go to a really awesome local bar and meet the crew for drinks. There is something to be said for the Pinoy, they are some of the friendliest people in the world, even though I am far away from home, I am among friends. 3 AM – I’m back at the hotel for a short nap before my flight. And that concludes the Legazpi chapter of this trip.


Additional photos below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

NagaNaga
Naga

The college town next to the wake park


Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0931s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb